Changes in our work-flow / Umstellung unseres Betriebs
Due to the current situation concerning the corona virus and restrictions given by the government we announce new information about the work-flow at our department.
Aufgrund der aktuellen Situation und Erlass unserer Bundesregierung ändern wir unsere organisatorischen Abläufe.
The Corona Virus is affecting also our work at the Center for Biomedical Research. In order to maintain our service we will, however, have to take some serious measurements that will affect your work:
1. Starting from Monday 16th March the animal house at 1Q and in the Borschkegasse will be opened for scientists only from 14:30 until 18:00. No researcher is allowed to enter earlier or later! The reason is that we have to separate the group of scientists from the group of animal care takers in order to minimize the risk of infections.
2. Please note that no new projects are allowed to be started during the next two weeks
3. Starting from Monday 16th March only 2 persons per research group are allowed to enter the animal house during the next weeks until further notice. We ask you to give us the names of those, who will be selected by yourself, and send these names to Bettina Woppel by e-mail email@example.com until beginning of next week. Only those persons will get access – the keys of all others will be blocked during the next days. Please report, when you enter the ZBF, at the Leitstelle or the responsible person in the Borschkegasse!
4. Starting from Monday 16th March we will collect your information about the breeding cages. We need to know, if you are able to do the genotyping of your colonies. If you cannot guarantee timed genotyping we recommend to reduce your breedings to „maintenance only" – please use the PyRAT system during the next week to inform your animal caretaker. Please note that if we do not hear from you by Friday 20th March noon, we will automatically change into a maintenance breeding!
Starting from Monday 16th March, in the OR there will be only service between 8:00 and 12:00 to guarantee that surviving animals will be transferred on time before 14:00 to the animal care takes and the animal house! We ask you to adopt your research protocols and procedures accordingly! Please inform Olga Nedelea by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org on Tuesday 17th March! Acute experiments shall terminate at 14:00!
6. Transfer of animals from the OR to the animal caretakers will be done only on the door. Please call your animal caretaker! Animals that need to be sacrificed for organ harvest should be taken to the individual labs of the PIs!
7. Please do not take masks and gloves from the animal facility with you – we had dramatic loss over the last week. We will provide only the minimum requirements (disposables) in order to be settled for a long starvation period – there is no further supply in and outside the AKH!
We know that these measurements will be a burden for you and your students. Moreover, they might delay your projects. However, we have to think ahead and be prepared for the worst-case scenario, which is an infection of the key personal in the animal house. This would lead to a complete shutdown with dramatic consequences.
We therefore ask you to support our safety program for the animal facilities of the Medical University of Vienna!
<- Back to: Zentrum für Biomedizinische Forschung