Prof. Oreste Acuto, PhD: “How T cell activation begins”
Thursday, January 19, 2017, 17.00, Hygiene Institute, Lecture Hall 2, Kinderspitalgasse 15, Vienna IX
COLLOQUIUM IN PATHOPHYSIOLOGY, INFECTIOLOGY AND IMMUNOLOGY
Oreste Acuto heads the T cell signaling laboratory at the Sir William School of Pathology, University of Oxford since 2006.
He did undergraduate studies in Biology and Biochemistry and received a doctorate degree in Immunology at the University of Rome. He received postdoctoral training at the ETH in Zurich and at the ISREC in Lausanne. He then moved as a lecturer to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute at the Harvard Medical School in Boston. In 1988 he took the direction of the Molecular Immunology Unit at the Department of Immunology at the Pasteur Institute in Paris. His work covers various aspects of T cell biology, focusing on the mechanism of T cell activation.
He is Senior Investigator of the Wellcome Trust and has received in 2010 a Wolfson Merit Award by the Royal Society.
- Fu G., Valle S., Pybakin V., McGuire M.V., Ampuldia J., Brockmeyer C., Salek M., Fallen P.R., Hoerter J.A.H., Munshi A., Huang Y.H., Hu J., Fox H.S., Sauer K., Acuto O. and N.R.J. Gascoigne. Themis controls thymocyte selection through regulation of TCR-mediated signaling. Nat. Immunol. 2009. 10(8):848-56. 102
- Nika K., Soldani C., Salek M., Paster W., Gray A., Etzensperger R., Fugger L. Polzella P., Cerundolo V., Omer Dushek O., Höfer T. Viola A. and O. Acuto. Constitutively active Lck in T cells drives antigen receptor signal transduction. Immunity. 2010. 32:766-777.
- Fu G., Casas J., Rigaud S., Rybakin V., Lambolez F., Brzostek J., Hoerter J.A., Paster W., Acuto O., Cheroutre H., Sauer K., Gascoigne N.R. Themis sets the signal threshold for positive and negative selection in T-cell development. Nature. 2013. 504:441-5.
- Paster W., Bruger A.M., Katsch K., Grégoire C., Roncagalli R., Fu G., Gascoigne N.R.J., Nika K., Cohnen A., Feller S.M., Simister P.C., Molder K.C., Cordoba S.P., Dushek O., Malissen B. and Acuto O. EMBO J. 2015. 34:393-409.
- Gascoigne N.R.J. and Acuto O. THEMIS: a critical TCR signal regulator for ligand discrimination. Curr. Op. Immnunol. 2015. 33:86-92
- Geoghegan V., Guo A., Trudgian D., Thomas B., Acuto O. Comprehensive identification of arginine methylation in primary T cells reveals regulatory roles in cell signalling. Nat. Commun. 2015. 6:6758.
Host: Hannes Stockinger
back to: CePII