The research activities of the Division of Medical Biotechnology are focused on allergy research, tumor immunology and traditional Chinese herbal medicine.
Research topics within the field of allergy research include:
· Interaction of allergens with the innate immune system
· Molecular properties of allergenic proteins and their sensitizing and symptom-inducing capacities
· Molecular basis and clinical consequences of immunoglobulin E cross- reactivity
· Development of new reagents for diagnosis and treatment of allergy
Within the field of tumor immunology, we focus on
· Experimental therapeutic strategies involving combinations of mimotope- induced monoclonal antibodies and established chemotherapeutic agents.
· Development of an infrared sensor technology to distinguish between normal tissue and melanoma cells
Research on traditional Chinese herbal medicine aims to
· Evaluate the mode of action of traditional herbal remedies using in vitro methods and animal models
Our teaching activities include
· Education of diploma and Ph.D. students of molecular biology, genetics, biotechnology, medicine and related fields
· Participation in the master’s curriculum “Medical Biotechnology”, a joint activity of the Medical University of Vienna and the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences
· Managing the post-graduate course “Principles and Practices of Traditional Chinese Medicine”
Our multi-disciplinary and dynamic team is participating in national and international peer-reviewed research projects including both basic science and translational research.
Head of the Division
Petra Natascha Hendler
Biochemistry and Bioinformatics
Head: Christian Radauer
Biotechnology and Biochemical Diagnostics
Head: Heimo Breiteneder
Head: Karin Hoffmann-Sommergruber