Medical University of Vienna
Department of Anaesthesia, General Intensiv Care and Pain Medicine
Waehringer Guertel 18-20
1090 Vienna, Austria
Phone:+43 (0)1 40400 - 4102
Know-how and research interests
The general goal of our group is to evaluate inexpensive, low-risk interventions during anaesthesia that are easy to implement yet likely to markedly improve outcome after surgery. For example, we have shown that simply maintaining intraoperative normothermia markedly reduces the risk of complications — and does so at trivial cost. A consequence of our work is that active intraoperative warming has become routine, whereas it was rare a decade ago.
Now we focus on perioperative fluid management during major abdomianl surgery. Furthermore we investigate how to prevent and treat myocardial injury after non cardiac surgery.
Research topic (general title)
Cardiovascular Disease and perioperative fluid management
Techniques and infrastructure of the research group
5 selected publications
- Marhofer D, Marhofer P, Kettner SC, Fleischmann E, Prayer D, Schernthaner M, Lackner E, Willschke H, Schwetz P, Zeitlinger M. Magnetic Resonance Imaging Analysis oft he Spread of Local Anesthetic Solution after Ultrasound-guided Lateral Thoracic Paravertebral Bloclade: A Volunteer Study. Anesthesiology 2013 Feb 7
- Starlinger P, Scauer D, Alidzanovic L, Zikeli S, Gebhardt K, Luf F, Fleischmann E, Perisanidis B, Grünberger B, Grünberger T, Brostjan C. Clinical Evidence for thrombospondin-1 as a relevant suppressor of liver regeneration. J Hepatology 2012 Dec
- Sulyok I, Fleischmann E, Stift A, Roth G, Lebherz-Eichinger D, Kasper D, Spittler A, Kimberger O. Effect of preoperative fever- range whole body hyperthermia on immunological markers in patients undergoing colorectal cancer surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2012 Nov;109(5) 754-61
- Rützler K, Kovaci B, Güloglu E, Kabon B, Fleischmann E, Kurz A, Mascha E, Dietz D, Remzu F, Sessler DI. Forced-air and a novel patient-warming system(vitalHEAT vH2) comparably maintain normothermia during open abdominal surgery. Anesth Analg. 2011 Mar;112(3):608-14
- Marhofer P, Kettner SC, Hajbok L, Dubsky P, Fleischmann E. Lateral Ultrasound-guided paravertebral blockade: an anatomical- based description of a new technique. Br J Anaesth. 2010 Oct;105(4):526-32.