Our team focuses in the field of brain neuroscience from the molecular to the cognitive level using the mouse as experimental model. In particular, we study molecular components mediating neuritogenesis and synaptogenesis and investigate their impact on the electrical properties of memory-relevant neuronal networks in vitro. We then correlate our findings with in vivo behavioural studies using pharmacologically treated and/or genetically-engineered mouse with the aim of contributing to elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying memory formation and maintenance.
Techniques and infrastructure of the research group:
Electrophysiology: Single-cell Patch-Clamp, Extracellular brain recordings in vivo in anesthetized animal and in acute and organotypic brain slices. Primary-dissociated brain-cell cultures and Organotypic brain-slices cultures. Confocal microscopy. Basic Molecular biology/biochemistry: PCR, Western Blot, immuno-cyto and –histochemistry.
1. Pollak DD, Minh BQ, Cicvaric A, Monje FJ. A novel fibroblast growth factor receptor family member promotes neuronal outgrowth and synaptic plasticity in aplysia. Amino Acids. 2014 Nov;46(11):2477-88.
2. Monje FJ, Divisch I, Demit M, Lubec G, Pollak DD. Flotillin-1 is an evolutionary-conserved memory-related protein up-regulated in implicit and explicit learning paradigms. Ann Med. 2013 Jun;45(4):301-7.
3. Monje FJ, Kim EJ, Pollak DD, Cabatic M, Li L, Baston A, Lubec G. Focal adhesion kinase regulates neuronal growth, synaptic plasticity and hippocampus-dependent spatial learning and memory. Neurosignals. 2012;20(1):1-14.
4. Monje FJ, Cabatic M, Divisch I, Kim EJ, Herkner KR, Binder BR, Pollak DD. Constant darkness induces IL-6-dependent depression-like behavior through the NF-κB signaling pathway. J Neurosci. 2011 Jun 22;31(25):9075-83.
5. Monje FJ, Kim EJ, Cabatic M, Lubec G, Herkner KR, Pollak DD. A role for glucocorticoid-signaling in depression-like behavior of gastrin-releasing peptide receptor knock-out mice. Ann Med. 2011 Aug;43(5):389-402.