Pharmacology and Drug Discovery
- Immunosuppressive cyclic peptides: in vitro signalling und preclinical applications for autoimmune disorders (multiple sclerosis)
- Bioactive peptides from nature: isolation, analysis and pharmacological activity
- Neuropeptides from invertebrates: ligand-receptor interactions and evolution, functional characterisation, modulation of human receptors
- Pharmacological evaluation of oxytocin/vasopressin ligands in animal models of behavioural disorders
- Discovery and characterization of nature-derived peptides nature using mass spectrometry
- Tissue distribution of neuropeptides and neurotransmitters via imaging mass spectrometry
Pharmacology of nature-derived and synthetic peptides
Peptide chemistry (extraction, modification, synthesis), Peptide analysis (HPLC, mass spectrometry; nano-LC-MS/MS, MALDI-TOF/TOF, MALDI-Imaging; transcriptome/genome-mining), Peptidomics, Cell biology (cell culture, cell proliferation, protein expression), Receptor pharmacology (ligand binding, functional assays, second messenger quantification, internalization), Molecular biology (cloning, DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, qPCR), Protein chemistry (purification, Western blotting, fluorescent microscopy)
Di Giglio MG, Muttenthaler M, Harpsøe K, Liutkeviciute Z, Keov P, Eder T, Rattei T, Arrowsmith S, Wray S, Marek A, Elbert T, Alewood PF, Gloriam DE, Gruber CW. Development of a human vasopressin V1a-receptor antagonist from an evolutionary-related insect neuropeptide. Scientific Reports, 7:41002, 2017.
Thell K, Hellinger R, Sahin E, Michenthaler P, Gold-Binder M, Haider T, Kuttke M, Liutkeviciute Z, Göransson U, Gründemann C, Schabbauer G, Gruber CW. Oral activity of a nature-derived cyclic peptide for the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 113: 3960–65, 2016.
Hellinger R, Koehbach J, Soltis DE, Carpenter EJ, Wong GKS, Gruber CW. Peptidomics of circular cysteine-rich plant peptides – Analysis of the diversity of cyclotides from Viola tricolor by transcriptome- and proteome-mining. Journal of Proteome Research, 14: 4851-62, 2015.
Koehbach J, O’Brien M, Muttenthaler M, Miazzo M, Akcan M, Elliott AG, Daly NL, Harvey PJ, Arrowsmith S, Gunasekera S, Smith TJ, Wray S, Göransson U, Dawson PE, Craik DJ, Freissmuth M, Gruber CW. Oxytocic plant cyclotides as templates for peptide G protein-coupled receptor ligand design. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110: 21183-88, 2013.
Bergmayr C, Thurner P, Keuerleber S, Kudlacek O, Nanoff C, Freissmuth M, Gruber CW. Recruitment of a cytoplasmic chaperone relay by the A2A-adenosine receptor. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 288: 28831-44, 2013.