Assoc. Prof. Dr. Monika Bradl
Department(s): Department of Neuroimmunology (Center for Brain Research)
Position: Associate Professor
Location: Spitalgasse 4
Autoimmune Diseases of the Nervous System, Inflammation, Microglia, Nervous System Autoimmune Disease, Experimental, Neuroimmunology
We are interested in the initiation, progression and resolution of inflammatory lesions of the central nervous system, and study these processes in models of two important human diseases, i.e. neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis.
We routinely establish cultures of CNS antigen-specific T cells, microglia, astrocytes, brain endothelial cells, oligodendrocytes and choroid plexus epithelium. Other tools and methods available include experimental models for multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica, immunological test procedures to identify and quantify cytokine production and antigen-reactivity of T lymphocytes, immunohistochemical analysis, gene expression studies using real-time PCR, pathway focused or whole genome microarrays on fresh and archival (paraformaldehyde-fixed, paraffin embedded) material, and the identification of mimotopes binding to pathogenic autoantibodies.
- Hillebrand S, Schanda K, Nigritinou M, Tsymala I, Böhm D, Peschl P, Takai Y, Fujihara K, Nakashima I, Misu T, Reindl M, Lassmann H, Bradl M (2019) Circulating AQP4-specific auto-antibodies alone can induce neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder in the rat Acta Neuropathol, 137(3): 467-485
- Zeka B, Hastermann M, Kaufmann N, Schanda K, Pende M, Misu T, Rommer P, Fujihara K, Nakashima I, Dahle C, Leutmezer F, Reindl M, Lassmann H, Bradl M (2016) Aquaporin 4-specific T cells and NMO-IgG cause primary retinal damage in experimental NMO/SD Acta Neuropathologica Communications, 4 (1): 82
- Bradl M, Kanamori Y, Nakashima I, Misu T, Fujihara K, Lassmann H, Sandkühler J. (2014) Pain in neuromyelitis optica-prevalence, pathogenesis and therapy Nat Rev Neurol, 10 (9): 529-536
| Article (PDF) |
- Pohl M, Kawakami N, Kitic M, Bauer J, Martins R, Fischer MT, Machado-Santos J, Mader S, Ellwart JW, Misu T, Fujihara K, Wekerle H, Reindl M, Lassmann H, Bradl M (2013) T cell-activation in neuromyelitis optica lesions plays a role in their formation Acta Neuropathologica Communications, : 1(1):85
- Pohl M, Fischer MT, Mader S, Schanda K, Kitic M, Sharma R, Wimmer I, Misu T, Fujihara K, Reindl M, Lassmann H, Bradl M. (2011) Pathogenic T cell responses against aquaporin 4 Acta Neuropathol, 122(1): 21-34
Show all publications