Center for Biomedical Research, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Währinger Gürtel 18-20, 1090, Vienna
know-how and research interests:
Our group is focus on the adaptation of myocardium in response to pressure and volume overload due to hypertension or myocardial infarction, respectively. Dr. Kiss in particular focus on the endogenous adaptation of the heart such as remote conditioning against ischemic and chronic reperfusion injury. The mechanism of left ventricle remodeling and heart failure, in highlight of Tenascin C and Neuregulin-1 mediate vascular- and cardiac (dys)function as well as repairs mechanisms.
research topic (general title):
Cardioprotection in chronic and acute myocardial ischemia/reperfusion
Mechanism of left ventricular remodeling in cardiovascular disease
techniques and infrastructure of the research group:
Diverse basic molecular and cellular biology technique (cell culture – cardiomyocytes, endothelial cells and fibroblast; PCR, transfection, siRNA interference). In vivo model of myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury in rats, ischemic heart failure model in mice and rats. Diabetic and dilated cardiomyopathy in small animal models. Assessment of vascular reactivity in isolated vessel rings (mice, rats and human). Functional assays for left ventricular hemodynamic; eg. isolated perfused hearts ex vivo, pressure-volume loop (mostly in rats) and echocardiography (mice and rats) in vivo.
5 selected publications:
1. IF Goncalves, E Acar, S Costantino, LP Szabo, O Hamza, EV Tretter, KU Klein, S Trojanek, D Abraham, F Paneni, S Hallstrom, A Kiss, BK. Podesser (2019). Epigenetic modulation of tenascin C in the heart: implications on myocardial ischemia, hypertrophy and metabolism. J Hypertens 37 (9), 1861-1870.
2. Kiss A, Tratsiakovich Y, Mahdi A, Yang J, Gonon AT, Podesser BK, Pernow J (2017). Vagal nerve stimulation reduces infarct size via a mechanism involving the alpha-7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor and down-regulation of cardiac and vascular arginase. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 221(3):174-181
3. PM. Pilz, O Hamza, O Gidlöf, IF. Gonçalves, EV. Tretter, S Trojanek, D Abraham, S Heber, PM. Haller, BK. Podesser, A. Kiss (2019). Remote ischemic perconditioning attenuates adverse cardiac remodeling and preserves left ventricular function in a rat model of reperfused myocardial infarction. International Journal of Cardiology; S0167-5273(18)36165-5
4. Osmanagic-Myers S, Kiss A, Manakanatas C, Hamza O, Sedlmayer F, Szabo PL, Fischer I, Fichtinger P, Podesser BK, Eriksson M, Foisner R. (2019) Endothelial progerin expression causes cardiovascular pathology through an impaired mechanoresponse. J Clin Invest.; 129:531-545.
5. B Podesser, M Kreibeich, E Dzilic, D Santer, L Förster, S Ttrojanek, D Abraham, M Krssak, KU Klein, EV Tretter, C Kaun, , J Wojta, B Kapeller, , I F Gonsalves, K Treschert, A Kiss (2018). Tenascin-C Promotes Chronic Pressure Overload-induced Cardiac Dysfunction, Hypertrophy and Myocardial Fibrosis. J Hypertens. 2018 ;36(4):847-856