Ao. Univ. Prof. Dr. Bernd Jilma
Medical University of Vienna
Department of Clinical Pharmacology
Waehringer Guertel 18-20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43 (0)1 40400 - 29810
Know-how and research interests
Our group is interested in platelet function and coagulation in various clinical settings but particularly emergencies, and critically ill patients. We have been studying systemic effects of human thrombin and staphylococcus aureus induced disseminated intravascular coagulation (in collaboration with Biomed Science). We are using a human endotoxemia model to characterize the mechanism of action of various investigational anticoagulants and anti-inflammatory drugs in phase I trials, and have recently established a model of endotoxin instillation into the lung. We also focus on high on treatment platelet reactivity in patients taking P2Y12 inhibitors, and have been investigating drug-drug interactions of anti-platelet drugs, and the pharmacodynamic effects of aptamers on coagulation and platelets.
Coagulation and platelet function in inflammation and critically ill
Techniques and infrastructure of the research group
Phase I research ward, human endotoxemia model, endotoxin instillation in the lung, various models of extracorporeal circulation, platelet function analysis, analysis of in vivo markers of clotting, flow cytometry, enzyme linked immunoassays, chemoluminescence assays, RT-PCR, high power liquid chromatography, expression and purification of recombinant proteins as well as mass spectrometry in collaboration with BOKU & KIMCL
5 selected publications
- Derhaschnig U, Reiter R, Baumgartner M, Knöbl P, Keen P, Jilma B. Recombinant human activated Protein C (drotrecogin alfa) has minimal effect on markers of coagulation, fibrinolysis and inflammation in acute human endotoxemia. Blood 2003;102:2093-98.
- Frossard M, Fuchs I, Leitner JM, Hsieh K, Vlcek M, Losert H, Domanovits H, Schreiber W, Laggner AN, Jilma B. Platelet function predicts myocardial damage in patients with acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 2004;110:392-7.
- Siller-Matula JM, Lang I, Christ G, Jilma B. Calcium channel blockers reduce the antiplatelet effect of clopidogrel. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008;52:1557-63.
- Fuchs I, Spiel AO, Frossard M, Derhaschnig U, Riedmüller E, Jilma B. Platelet hyperfunction is decreased by additional aspirin loading in patients presenting with myocardial infarction on daily aspirin therapy. Crit Care Med 2010;38(6):1423-9.
- Siller-Matula JM, Merhi Y, Tanguay JF, Duerschmied D, Wagner DD, McGinness KE, Pendergrast PS, Chung JK, Tian X, Schaub RG, Jilma B. ARC15105 Is a Potent Antagonist of Von Willebrand Factor Mediated Platelet Activation and Adhesion. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:902-9