Univ. Prof. Dr. Bruno Podesser
Department of Biomedical Research, Medical University of Vienna
know-how and research interests:
My group is focusing on ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury and post-myocardial infarction (MI) remodeling. I/R is critical in clinical situations such as acute coronary syndrome and myocardial infarction. If not addressed properly by re-opening of the vessel, it leads to post-MI remodeling and ultimately to heart failure. Our concept of myocardial protection during I/R starts with endothelial protection by administration of NO donors during acute and chronic ischemia. In post MI remodeling we study the aspect of inflammation on extracellular matrix proteins.
ischemia/reperfusion and postMI remodeling in the heart
Techniques and infrastructure of the research group
animal models for ischemia/reperfusion from the mouse to the pig; isolated heart preparation in mouse, rat and rabbit; acute and chronic hemodynamic monitoring, high-energy phosphate analysis; one full-time technician.
5 selected publications:
1. Acceptance of animal research in our science community. Bergmeister K, Podesser B. Version 2. F1000Res. 2016 Mar 4 [revised 2016 Jul 8];5:282. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.8169.2. eCollection 2016.
2. Tenascin-C aggravates ventricular dilatation and angiotensin-converting enzyme activity after myocardial infarction in mice.David Santer 1 2 3, Felix Nagel 1 2 4, Inês Fonseca Gonçalves 1 2, Christoph Kaun 5, Johann Wojta 1 5, Miklós Fagyas 6, Martin Krššák 7, Ágnes Balogh 6, Zoltán Papp 6, Attila Tóth 6, Viktor Bánhegyi 6, Karola Trescher 1 2 4, Attila Kiss 1 2, Bruno K Podesser ESC Heart Fail. 2020 Oct;7(5):2113-2122.
3. St Thomas' Hospital polarizing blood cardioplegia improves hemodynamic recovery in a porcine model of cardiopulmonary bypass.David Santer 1, Anne Kramer 1, Attila Kiss 1, Klaus Aumayr 2, Matthias Hackl 3, Stefan Heber 4, David J Chambers 5, Seth Hallström 6, Bruno K Podesser 7J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2019 Dec;158(6):1543-1554.e8.
4. The continuing evolution of the Langendorff and ejecting murine heart: new advances in cardiac phenotyping. Liao R, Podesser BK, Lim CC. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012 Jul 15;303(2):H156-67. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00333.2012. Epub 2012 May 25. Review.
5. Nitric oxide homeostasis as a target for drug additives to cardioplegia. Podesser BK, Hallström S. Br J Pharmacol. 2007 Aug;151(7):930-40. Epub 2007 May 8. Review.