Dr. med. Maike Keck
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Waehringer Guertel 18-20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43 (0)1 40400 - 2165
Know-how and research interests
My group is interested in research in burns and tissue engineering of skin and fatty tissue. As a partner of a current European seventh framework project, called ArtiVasc3D, our overall objective is the development of a vascularised composite graft using the example of vascularised skin. This will be realised by the achievement of the following specific objectives:
• To develop in vitro fatty tissues to compare them to non-scaffold- and scaffold-based models
• To combine this fat layer with a dermal and epidermal layer
• To integrate an artifical vascular system in the fatty tissue
• To build up a vascularised composite tissue graft, including a fat, dermal and epidermal layer
• To characterise and evaluate cells and tissue properties considering in particular morphology, viability, cell proliferation and the expression of specific markers
Skin and soft tissue engineering
Techniques and infrastructure of the research group
Cell culture, tissue engineering, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy, PCR, proliferation assays.
5 selected publications
Keck M, Zeyda M, Gollinger K, Burjak S, Kamolz LP, Frey M, Stulnig TM. Local anesthetics have a major impact on viability of preadipocytes and their differentiation into adipocytes. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 Nov;126(5):1500-5.
Keck M, Zeyda M, Burjak S, Kamolz L-P, Selig H, Stulnig Th, Frey M. Coenzyme Q10 does not enhance preadipocyte viability in an in vitro lipotransfer model. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2012 Apr;36(2):453-7. Epub 2011 Oct 1.
Keck M, Haluza D, Lumenta DB, Burjak S, Eisenbock B, Kamolz LP, Frey M. Construction of a multi-layer skin substitute: Simultaneous cultivation of keratinocytes and preadipocytes on a dermal template. Burns. 2011 Jun;37(4):626-30. Epub 2010 Sep 23.
Keck M, Haluza D, Selig H, Lumenta D, Kamolz L-P, Frey, M. Adipose tissue engineering: Three different approaches to seed preadipocytes on a collagen-elastin matrix Ann Plast Surg. 2011 Nov;67(5):484-8.
Keck M, Selig HF, Lumenta DB, Kamolz LP, Mittlböck M, Frey M. The use of Suprathel(®) in deep dermal burns: first results of a prospective study. Burns. 2012 May;38(3):388-95. Epub 2011 Nov 10.