Aims for the Second Period of the SFB (2017 - 2021)
- Identification and validation genetic and epigenetic factors and patterns as well as somatic lesions and mutational profiles underlying evolution, progression, and drug- resistance in various MPN and to study the functional and clinical impact of individual (identified) lesions, of mutation patterns, and of relevant genetic (germline) background factors. Gender-related mechanisms and familial clustering of MPN will also be analyzed.
- Defining critical cellular hierarchies (LSC) and cellular interactions relevant to disease manifestation, clonal evolution, sub-clone formation/expansion, as well as progression and resistance in MPN.
- Identification of major signaling molecules and networks as well as key effector molecules involved in the regulation of growth, survival and resistance of neoplastic cells and MPN-initiating LSC in various MPN.
- Identify new relevant therapeutic targets and critical target networks in various MPN, explore optimal ways and strategies of targeting neoplastic (stem) cells in MPN, and finally develop approaches to eliminate MPN LSC.
- Development LSC-targeting and -eradicating treatment concepts in subgroups of MPN: development of individualized therapies
- Evaluation of early phases of MPN development and driver-mutant negative subclones
- Development of strategies of suppression or elimination of “early” subclones in MPN = prevention
- Development of strategies mobilizing the immune system to control MPN evolution