The Institute for Neurology (CIN) is an organisational unit of the Medical University at Vienna (MedUni Vienna) located at the MedUni Campus AKH.
The CIN was founded in 1882 by the neurologist, psychiatrist and brain researcher Heinrich Obersteiner as the first institute oriented towards interdisciplinary medical neuroscientific research and teaching and served as a model for the founding of similar institutes in Europe, USA and Japan.
Today, the CIN is a centre for cutting-edge medical neuropathological, neurochemical, neuroimmunological and neurogenetic diagnostics, and a centre for translational neuroscientific research and teaching in the scope of a national and international network. The institute acts as a coordinating centre for multidisciplinary doctoral study in Clinical Neurosciences (CLINS) of the MedUni Vienna and as training institutions in the medical speciality of neuropathology.
As an interaction between the Clinical Institute for Pathology and the Clinical Institute for Laboratory Medicine, the CIN coordinates the MedUni Vienna Biobank, and is responsible for the Neurobiobank section in this association.
Moreover, the CIN is a partner of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Vienna (CCC), and conducts its activities here, especially as part of the sub-unit for tumours of the central nervous system (CCC-CNS).