Dr. Mamta Jain
MedUni Wien RESEARCHER OF THE MONTH August 2019
RNA editing of Filamin A pre-mRNA regulates vascular contraction and diastolic blood pressure
FilaminA is an actin-binding protein known to play an important role in the organization of cytoskeleton and regulates cell adhesion and migration. We showed for the first time that if RNA modification of this gene is defective, it leads to problems in muscle contraction and mice develop hypertension as a result of increased contraction. Moreover, FLNA RNA Editing is dramatically reduced in human cardiovascular patients. RNA editing has been shown to be involved in only neurological disorders until now and our study highlights the importance of an RNA modification in human cardiovascular diseases. Our studies also introduce a novel method to treat high blood pressure in future.
- Bass, B.L. (2002). RNA editing by adenosine deaminases that act on RNA. Annual review of biochemistry 71, 817-846.
- Gatsiou, A., Vlachogiannis, N., Lunella, F.F., Sachse, M., and Stellos, K. (2017). Adenosine-to-Inosine RNA Editing in Health and Disease. Antioxidants & redox signaling.
- Jain, M., Bhat, G.P., Vijayraghavan, K., and Inamdar, M.S. (2012). Rudhira/BCAS3 is a cytoskeletal protein that controls Cdc42 activation and directional cell migration during angiogenesis. Experimental cell research 318, 753-767.
- Jain, M., Mann, T.D., Stulic, M., Rao, S.P., Kirsch, A., Pullirsch, D., Strobl, X., Rath, C., Reissig, L., Moreth, K., et al. (2018). RNA editing of Filamin A pre-mRNA regulates vascular contraction and diastolic blood pressure. The EMBO journal 37.
- Nishikura, K. (2016). A-to-I editing of coding and non-coding RNAs by ADARs. Nature reviews Molecular cell biology 17, 83-96.
- Shetty, R., Joshi, D., Jain, M., Vasudevan, M., Paul, J.C., Bhat, G., Banerjee, P., Abe, T., Kiyonari, H., VijayRaghavan, K., et al. (2018). Rudhira/BCAS3 is essential for mouse development and cardiovascular patterning. Scientific reports 8, 5632.