Dermoscopy; Diagnostic Imaging; Early Detection of Cancer; Image Interpretation, Computer-Assisted; Neural Networks (Computer); Nevi and Melanomas
My research focus is to understand and develop automated systems for dermatologic image analysis. The research is focused on making highly complex systems like neural networks applicable and explainable for clinical practice. Secondly, I use these systems in combination with computational modeling to gain insight into biologic behaviour of dermatologic diseases.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Structured digital dermatopathologic slide scans and dermatoscopic image data originating from different sources are used for research. Image processing is performed with open-source python modules, and analysis is performed primarily through neural network models realised in PyTorch or Tensorflow.
- Die Rolle aktivierender BRAF Mutationen in Nävi aus welchen Melanome entstanden sind (2011)
Source of Funding: Margarethe Hehberger Stiftung,
- Tschandl, P., Kittler, H. & Argenziano, G., 2017. A pretrained neural network shows similar diagnostic accuracy to medical students in categorising dermatoscopic images after comparable training conditions. British Journal of Dermatology. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bjd.15695.
- Tschandl, P. et al., 2017. Melanomas vs. nevi in high-risk patients under long-term monitoring with digital dermatoscopy: do melanomas and nevi already differ at baseline? Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 31(6), pp.972-977. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jdv.14065.
- Tschandl, P. et al., 2014. Teaching dermatoscopy of pigmented skin tumours to novices: comparison of analytic vs. heuristic approach. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 29(6), pp.1198-1204. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jdv.12790.
- Tschandl, P., Rosendahl, C. & Kittler, H., 2014. Dermatoscopy of flat pigmented facial lesions. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 29(1), pp.120-127. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jdv.12483.
- Tschandl, P. et al., 2013. NRAS and BRAF Mutations in Melanoma-Associated Nevi and Uninvolved Nevi. PLoS ONE, 8(7), p.e69639. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0069639.