Skip to main content

University entrance qualification

Proof of the "general university entrance qualification".

Pursuant to section 64(1) of the Universities Act 2002 - UG, the "general university entrance qualification" shall be evidenced by one of the following documents: Austrian secondary leaving certificate (including a certificate on the Berufsreifeprüfung) or an Austrian Reife- und Diplomprüfungszeugnis or a Reifeprüfungszeugnis nostrified in accordance with the provisions of school law
2.another Austrian certificate on the recognition of the right to study for a certain group of studies at a university, college of education or university of applied sciences;
3.a foreign secondary leaving certificate, since one of these Austrian certificates is equivalent to one of the other certificates on the basis of an international agreement or on the basis of the decision of the Rectorate in the individual case
4.a certificate of completion of at least three years of study at a recognised domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution; the case of artistic studies, confirmation of the positively assessed entrance examination (Note: this is not relevant for admission to the Medical University of Vienna!) "IB Diploma" obtained in accordance with the regulations of the "International Baccalaureate Organisation";
7.a "European Baccalaureate Diploma" in accordance with Article 5(2) of the Agreement on the Statute of the European Schools, Federal Law Gazette III No. 173/2005

NOTE: a specialist baccalaureate / vocational baccalaureate completed in Switzerland or a specialist university entrance qualification / specialist university entrance qualification completed in Germany is generally not sufficient for proof of general university entrance qualifications.

Under certain circumstances, supplementary examination in Latin may be necessary.

Additional information on foreign certificates which are equivalent to an Austrian certificate on the basis of an international agreement or on the basis of the decision of the rectorate in individual cases (§ 64, paragraph 1, item 3 UG):

Between Austria and many other countries, the equivalence of matriculation certificates is determined by multilateral or bilateral agreements. Matriculation certificates issued in such countries constitute sufficient proof of general university entrance qualifications. For further information, see e.g. Information on university entrance qualifications

If the equivalence of foreign certificates is not given with regard to the contents and requirements of an Austrian school leaving certificate, the Rectorate shall prescribe the supplementary examinations which are necessary to establish equivalence with a domestic school leaving certificate and which must be taken before admission to regular studies.

The ANABIN database offers a decision guidance for an orientation as to whether supplementary examinations might become necessary. However, we ask for your understanding that the recommendations available in the ANABIN database cannot replace the concrete detailed examination in the context of admission to the Medical University of Vienna and that the result of the equivalence examination cannot be anticipated.

Further information on the recognition system in Austria can also be found on the websites of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research and ENIC NARIC Austria.