Acute Kidney Injury; Creatinine; Cytokines; Extracorporeal Circulation; Inflammation; Mortality; Patient Outcome Assessment; Perioperative Care; Preoperative Period
Organ protection, Inflammation and outcome in cardiac surgery patients
We are performing cohort studies to to find valuable predictors, models and risk indicators for several, especially renal, organ protection and dysfunctions. In this context, research about risk and prevention of acute kidney injury (AKI) in cardiac surgical patients remains the most important topic.
Also we are performing prospective studies to identify the impact of inflammation due to extracorporal circulation on postoperative systemic inflammatory response syndrome and organ failure
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
We perform survival analyses and risk factor identification in collaboration with the Centre for Medical Statistics, Informatics and Intelligent Systems and in cooperation with the Core Facility Flow Cytometry analysis of inflammation markers and cytokines
- Bernardi, M.H. et al., 2016. Effect of hemoadsorption during cardiopulmonary bypass surgery - a blinded, randomized, controlled pilot study using a novel adsorbent. Crit Care, 20(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13054-016-1270-0.
- Bernardi, M.H. et al., 2016. Serum Creatinine Back-Estimation in Cardiac Surgery Patients: Misclassification of AKI Using Existing Formulae and a Data-Driven Model. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 11(3), pp.395-404. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.2215/CJN.03560315.
- Bernardi, M.H. et al., 2014. Impact of preoperative serum creatinine on short- and long-term mortality after cardiac surgery: a cohort study. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 114(1), pp.53-62. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bja/aeu316.
- A. Schiferer, A. Zuckermann, D. Dunkler, F. Eskandary, M. Bernardi, M. Hiesmayr, A. Lassnigg, D. Hutschala. Acute Kidney Injury and Outcome After Heart Transplantation: Large Differences in Performance of Scoring Systems. Transplantation (2015) Dec 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kork, F. et al., 2016. Back-calculating baseline creatinine overestimates prevalence of acute kidney injury with poor sensitivity. Acta Physiologica, 219(3), pp.613-624. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/apha.12763.