As a doctoral student with a study period abroad, you may apply for accreditation of your completed courses. Nevertheless there are certain rules to pay attention to.
Rules for doctoral studies with study periods abroad
For a doctoral study that involves a study period abroad, in addition to all requirements for the doctoral programmes at the Medical University of Vienna, the following rules have to be considered:
- You have to be enrolled at the Medical University of Vienna over the entire length of your doctoral study.
- The entire propedeutics, and a minimum of 40% of the required courses, including Basic Courses, Journal Clubs, Thesis Seminars and Practical Seminars have to be attended and completed at the MedUni Vienna.
- The accreditation of a doctoral study that has been mainly performed at a foreign university (comprising more than 60% of the courses) does not entitle the doctorand to an degree of the Medical University of Vienna.
- Your doctoral thesis has to be registered at the MedUni Vienna with a supervisor who has to be an active member of a thematic program of the doctoral studies, holds a venia docendi degree or is an equally qualified individual, who is familiar with the thesis work and able to survey the thesis progress.
- Foreign Basic Courses, Journal Clubs and Thesis Seminars may be accredited for the doctoral study under the following conditions:
- The courses must be listed in a university calendar.
- The outline of the courses must be clearly labeled in semester hours.
- The courses must be part of doctoral study programmes.
- Successful completion of the courses must be approved by signature of the lecturer.
- All documents have to be submitted in original or in legalized copy and in English or German language.
- Basic Courses, Journal Clubs and Thesis Seminars held by doctorands cannot to be accredited.
- Participation in congresses cannot be accredited.
- Members of the thesis committee must meet at least once per year to adjudicate the study progress, and discuss the progress reports.
- The doctoral viva must be held at the MedUni Vienna.
- The thesis publication must be co-authored by an associated mentor including a reference to the Medical University of Vienna.
For further information please study the rules of your doctoral programme.