(Vienna/Innsbruck/Graz/Linz, 12 April 2018) Applications to take part in this year's admissions procedure for a place at the medical universities of Vienna, Innsbruck or Graz or the Medical Faculty of Johannes Kepler University in Linz (JKU) closed on Good Friday, 30 March 2018. This time, a total of 15,880 candidates have registered to take part in the MedAT joint entrance exam on Friday 6 July 2018 (2017: 15,991).
Applications to the individual universities break down as follows:
- MedUni Vienna: this year a total of 7,451 people (2017: 8,030 /2016: 7,519) have registered to take the entrance exam. 2,847 of these were male (2017: 3,218 / 2016: 3,045) and 4,604 female (2017: 4,812 / 2016: 4,474).
- Medical University of Innsbruck: a total of 3,766 candidates have registered (2017: 3,670 / 2016: 3,626). 1,426 of these were male (2017: 1,448 / 2016: 1,458) and 2,340 female (2017: 2,222 / 2016: 2,168).
- MedUni Graz: a total of 2,969 registrations have been received for the exam (2017: 3,359/ 2016: 3,178)), 1,171 from males and 1,798 from females (2017: 1,375/1,984 and 2016: 1,345/1,833).
- Medical Faculty of JKU Linz: 1.694 people have registered (2017: 932 / 2016: 806) , including 697 males (2017: 367 / 2016: 331) and 997 females (2017: 565 / 2016: 475). Note: This year Linz has 180 university places to allocate rather than 120.
The respective entrance exams will take place on Friday, 6 July 2018 starting at 8:00 hrs.
Content of the MedAT-H and MedAT-Z entrance exams
The entrance exam for human medicine (Med-AT-H) is a multi-part, written exam comprising the following elements:
- Basic knowledge test for medical studies: checking existing knowledge from school in the areas of biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics
- Text comprehension: checking reading ability and comprehension of texts
- Cognitive skills and abilities: this test consists of five groups of exercises (assembling figures, numerical sequences, understanding implications, memory and retentiveness and language proficiency) and covers basic cognitive skills and abilities.
- Social and emotional skills: this part of the exam consists of a group of exercises on Reading Emotions and Social Decision-Making, covering important aspects of social and emotional skills.
The entrance exam for dentistry (MedAT-Z) is largely identical to MedAT-H. In place of the Text Comprehension section and the group of exercises on Understanding Implications, manual skills are tested by exercises involving bending wire and reproducing shapes.
A total of 1,680 university places available
There are a total of 1,680 university places available for human medicine and dentistry for the 2018/19 academic year, 740 of these at the Medical University of Vienna, 400 at the Medical University of Innsbruck, 360 at the Medical University of Graz and 180 at the Medical Faculty of JKU Linz (120 last year). At least 95% of the university places are reserved for EU citizens and those with equivalent rights of access to education and at least 75% of places for applicants with an Austrian school leaving certificate. Preparatory documentation and test exercises are available on the joint website for the medical universities and the medical faculty of JKU: www.medizinstudieren.at.