Medical studies: A total of 14,041 applicants at the Medical Universities in Austria and at the Medical Faculty of JKU Linz
(Vienna/Innsbruck/Graz/Linz, 09-04-2015) On 31 March 2015, the registration period for participation in the admissions procedure of the Medical Universities in Vienna, Innsbruck and Graz and the Medical Faculty of Johannes Kepler University (JKU) Linz ended. A total of 14,041 prospective students registered for the joint acceptance procedure MedAT on Friday, 3 July 2015. This is an increase of 1,435 applicants compared with the previous year (in 2014 there was a total number of 12,606 applicants).
The applications for the individual universities in detail:
- At the Medical University of Vienna, a total of 6,912 persons (2014: 6.016) submitted their binding registration for the admission test. 2,841 of them are male (2014: 2,505) and 4,071 are female (2014: 3,511).
- At the Medical University of Innsbruck, a total of 3,493 prospective students (2014: 3,483) submitted their fixed registration. 1,456 of them are male (2014: 1,434) and 2,037 are female (2014: 2,049).
- At the Medical University of Graz, a total of 3,039 registrations were received (2014: 2,765), 1,317 of them by men and 1,722 by women (2014: 1,190/1,575).
- In Linz (Medical Faculty of JKU Linz), a total of 597 persons (2014: 342) registered, 238 of them are male (2014: 131) and 359 are female (2014: 211).
Acceptance procedure on 3 July 2015
The acceptance test for human medicine (MedAT-H) is a written procedure with several parts and takes place on the same day like the acceptance test for prospective dentists on 3 July 2015.
The MedAT-H is structured as follows:
- Basic knowledge test Medical Studies (BMS): Assessment of the pre-existingknowledge from school in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths
- Text comprehension test: Assessment of reading skills and comprehension of texts
- Cognitive skills and abilities: This test consists of five groups of tasks (series of numbers, memory and retentiveness, assemble figures, word fluency and recognise implications) and includes cognitive basic skills and abilities
- Social decisions: This group of tasks measures the quality to arrange decisions in social contexts according to their significance.
The MedAT-Z is largely identical with the MedAT-H. The test components of text comprehension and recognise implications are replaced by the verification of manual skills.
All information on the admission tests for human medicine and dental medicine as well as related links to the preparation materials and practice tests are available on the joint internet site of the Medical Universities and the Faculty on www.medizinstudieren.at.
A total of 1,560 places are available for human and dental medicine for the coming academic year, 740 of them at the Medical University of Vienna, 400 at Innsbruck Medical University, 360 at the Medical University of Graz and 60 at the Medical Faculty of JKU Linz. Also this year, the quota system as decided by the National Council will be applied, according to which 75 per cent of the places will be made available to applicants with an Austrian Matura certificate, 20 per cent to applicants from EU member states, and five per cents to applicants from other countries.