(Vienna, 24 October 2017) Since 2003, the month of November has been dedicated to men's health, keyword "Movember" (a wordplay between MOustache and NoVEMBER), in order to raise awareness about prostate and testicular cancer but also men's health in general. A day dedicated to men's health entitled "Stay healthy, man!" will therefore be held in MedUni Vienna’s Lecture Center in Vienna General Hospital on 4 November 2017 (10:30 – 14:00 hrs). The day is jointly organised with RMA Health. However, the event that will include interactive stations with nutristionists and pharmacists, sport medicine specialists and physiotherapist from Vienna General Hospital and lectures on the subject of lifestyle, prostate problems, sexuality and risk factors right through to the question "Why men need to do more to improve their health?" is only the start of many campaigns relating to men's health to be run at MedUni Vienna and on the website www.gesund.at during November 2017.
Starting on 1 November 2017, there will be an entire page dedicated to men's health on the MedUni Vienna website (www.meduniwien.ac.at/Movember) and at www.gesund.at, where anyone who is interested can find scientifically based tips and information for improved male health – ranging from the risk factors of smoking, cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure, right through mental health to the treatment and diagnosis of prostate cancer, support from "Self-help for prostate cancer" (which has been available now for 20 years) and men's health from the perspective of environmental medicine.
Regular campaigns and information about men's health can be found on the Facebook pages: www.facebook.com/MedizinischeUniversitaetWien and www.facebook.com/gesund.at with an opportunity to ask questions and have them answered by experts. There is also a competition on the Facebook page of gesund.at where the most impressive November beards are chosen to win a prize.
Event: Stay healthy, man!
Saturday, 4 November 2017, MedUni Vienna/Vienna General Hospital Lecture Center, 10:30 – 14:00 hrs, Level 8. A day dedicated to men's health – many interesting interactive stations and discussions. Attendance is free.
The lecture programme:
- 10:30 hrs: Men and their health in Austria: Where does Austria stand? Why men need to do more to improve their health? /
Alexandra Kautzky-Willer, Professor of Gender Medicine, MedUni Vienna/Vienna General Hospital
- 11:00 hrs: PSA screening / Christian Seitz, Department of Urology of MedUni Vienna/Vienna General Hospital
- 11:30 hrs: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Shahrokh F. Shariat, Head of the Department of Urology of MedUni Vienna/Vienna General Hospital & Ekkehard Büchler, Self-help for prostate cancer.
- 12:30 hrs: What can I do to improve my health? Men's health and environmental factors, men's health and lifestyle / Hanns Moshammer, Division of Environmental Hygiene and Environmental Medicine of MedUni Vienna's Center for Public Health
- 13:00 hrs: Cardiovascular diseases & risk factors such as smoking / Michael Kunze, Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine at MedUni Vienna's Center for Public Health
- 13:30 hrs: Sexuality and sexual health in men / Harun Fajkovic, Department of Urology of MedUni Vienna/Vienna General Hospital