Diabetes Mellitus; Diabetes, Gestational; Dyslipidemias; Endocrinology; Glucose Metabolism Disorders; Osteoporosis
My current research investigates the relationship between cholesterol-lowering drugs such as statins and the development of hormone-related diseases. Statins inhibit HMG-CoA reductase, the main enzyme in the synthesis of cholesterol. Cholesterol is the basic substance for the synthesis of vital hormones such as testosterone or oestrogen. I am therefore currently investigating whether there is a dose-dependent relationship between statins and osteoporosis.
Further research interests are:
- Endocrinology and metabolism
- Diabetes mellitus
- Gender Medicine
- Gestational diabetes
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Big data
- Prospective clinical studies
- Functional tests measuring insulin secretion, insulin sensitivity, beta-cell function and incretins
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- Intestinal microbiome
- Leutner, M. et al., 2019. Diagnosis of osteoporosis in statin-treated patients is dose-dependent. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 78(12), pp.1706–1711. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2019-215714.
- Leutner, M. et al., 2019. A Sex-Specific Analysis of the Predictive Value of Troponin I and T in Patients With and Without Diabetes Mellitus After Successful Coronary Intervention. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 10. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2019.00105.
- Leutner, M. et al., 2019. Glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1) drives postprandial hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in pregnant women with a history of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass operation. Metabolism, 91, pp.10–17. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2018.10.006.
- Leutner, M. et al., 2018. Pericardial Fat Relates to Disturbances of Glucose Metabolism in Women with the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, but Not in Healthy Control Subjects. International Journal of Endocrinology, 2018, pp.1–8. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2018/5406128.
- Leutner, M. et al., 2016. Clinical and metabolic characteristics of treated hyperlipidemic patients additionally affected by subclinical hyperglycemia. Lipids in Health and Disease, 15(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12944-016-0180-0.