(Vienna/Graz/Innsbruck/Linz, 08 July 2022) Out of 15,788 applicants who had originally registered, a total of 11,643 candidates took part in today's (Friday's) MedAT joint entrance exam for a place at the medical universities of Vienna, Innsbruck and Graz or the Medical Faculty of Johannes Kepler University in Linz.
As last year, the entrance exams were held at several venues throughout Austria. The MedUni Vienna exams were held at Messe Wien, the Graz exams in Graz Exhibition Centre and the Upper Austria exams in Wels Exhibition Centre. The exams for the Medical University of Innsbruck took place at the Innsbruck Exhibition Centre.
Participant numbers in detail:
- At MedUni Vienna, a total of 5,857 people took the entrance exam; 7,881 applications had originally been received.
- At the Medical University of Innsbruck, a total of 2,376 people came to sit the exam today, Friday. Originally, 3,350 people had registered online by the end of March.
- Out of the 2,650 who had originally registered, a total of 2,026 candidates sat the exam for MedUni Graz today (Friday).
- In Upper Austria (Medical Faculty of JKU Linz) 1,384 candidates sat the exam. 1,907 had originally registered their interest by the close of online applications.
Content of the MedAT-H and MedAT-Z entrance exams
The entrance exam for human medicine (Med-AT-H) is a multi-part, written exam comprising the following elements:
- Basic knowledge test for medical studies: checking existing knowledge from school in the areas of biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Text comprehension: checking reading ability and understanding of texts.
- Cognitive skills and abilities: this part of the test consists of five groups of exercises (assembling figures, numerical sequences, language proficiency, memory and retention and recognising implications) and covers basic cognitive skills and abilities.
- Social and emotional skills: this part of the exam consists of a group of exercises on Reading Emotions and Social Decision-Making, covering important aspects of social and emotional skills.
The entrance exam for dentistry (MedAT-Z) is largely identical to MedAT-H, except that the "Text Comprehension" section of the test is replaced by "Manual Skills" and the group of exercises on "Understanding Implications” is replaced by "Wire Bending" and "Reproducing Shapes".
A total of 1,850 university places available
There are a total of 1,850 university places available for medicine and dentistry for the 2022/23 academic year (2021: 1,740 places), 760 of these at the Medical University of Vienna, 410 at the Medical University of Innsbruck, 370 at the Medical University of Graz and 310 at the Medical Faculty of JKU Linz. At least 95% of the university places are reserved for EU citizens and those with equivalent rights of access to education, and at least 75% of places for applicants with an Austrian school leaving certificate. However, this quota system only applies to the allocation of university places for medicine.