My main research focus is on the pathogenesis of immune mediated inflammatory diseases (IMIDs) and primary/secondary immunodeficiencies. In particular I am interested in the role of dendritic cells in the presentation of self antigens under steady state and pathogenic conditions. In addition I have worked on the role of regulatory T cells in IMIDs. More recently together with Dr. Lisa Göschl, we established an outpatient clinic for patients with immunodeficiencies which is part of the interdisciplinary competence center for inflammation and immunity of the Medical University of Vienna.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Experience in mouse models of autoimmune gastritis and rheumatoid arthritis, cells cultures, flow cytometry, in vivo imaging using confocal and muli-photon microscopy.
- Scheinecker, C., Göschl, L. and Bonelli, M. (2020) ‘Treg cells in health and autoimmune diseases: New insights from single cell analysis’, Journal of Autoimmunity, 110, p. 102376. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaut.2019.102376.
- Byrne, R. et al. (2012) ‘A Dynamic Real Time In Vivo and Static Ex Vivo Analysis of Granulomonocytic Cell Migration in the Collagen-Induced Arthritis Model’, PLoS ONE. Edited by J.C. Alves-Filho, 7(4), p. e35194. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0035194.
- Bonelli, M. and Scheinecker, C. (2018) ‘How does abatacept really work in rheumatoid arthritis?’, Current Opinion in Rheumatology, 30(3), pp. 295–300. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/bor.0000000000000491.
- Bonelli, M. et al. (2009) ‘Phenotypic and Functional Analysis of CD4+CD25−Foxp3+ T Cells in Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus’, The Journal of Immunology, 182(3), pp. 1689–1695. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.182.3.1689.
- Scheinecker, C. et al. (2002) ‘Constitutive Presentation of a Natural Tissue Autoantigen Exclusively by Dendritic Cells in the Draining Lymph Node’, Journal of Experimental Medicine, 196(8), pp. 1079–1090. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1084/jem.20020991.