Amplifiers, Electronic; Dystonia; Electric Stimulation; Electric Stimulation Therapy; Electromyography; Neuromuscular Diseases; Neuromuscular Monitoring; Neurosciences; Spinal Cord Injuries; Spinal Cord Stimulation; Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation
My main research focus is the application of non-invasive spinal cord stimulation to neuromodulate the neural networks embedded into the spinal cord, and how to use them to ameliorate spasticity and modify residual motor control. Additional work is based on the development of new biomedical devices to enhance security on novel Magnetic Stimulation applications.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Non-invasive electrical stimulation techniques for neuromodulation of the central nervous system and neuromuscular stimulation. Electrophysiological (e.g., EMG, ECG, EEG) and biomechanical data (goniometer, force, etc.) acquisition. Functional Magnetic Stimulation for the treatment of pelvic floor muscles.
- Krenn, M.J. et al., 2020. Bipolar transcutaneous spinal stimulation evokes short-latency reflex responses in human lower limbs alike standard unipolar electrode configuration. Journal of Neurophysiology. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1152/jn.00433.2020.
- Lovecchio, J. et al., 2019. A standalone bioreactor system to deliver compressive load under perfusion flow to hBMSC-seeded 3D chitosan-graphene templates. Scientific Reports, 9(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-53319-7.
- Vargas Luna, J.L. et al., 2016. Effects of sustained electrical stimulation on spasticity assessed by the pendulum test. Current Directions in Biomedical Engineering, 2(1), pp.405–407. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1515/cdbme-2016-0090.
- Vargas Luna, J.L. et al., 2015. Dynamic Impedance Model of the Skin-Electrode Interface for Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation M. A. Lebedev, ed. PLOS ONE, 10(5), p.e0125609. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0125609.
- Varela-Jimenez, M.I. et al., 2015. Constitutive model for shear yield stress of magnetorheological fluid based on the concept of state transition. Smart Materials and Structures, 24(4), p.045039. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/24/4/045039.