Chemokine CXCL5; Chemokines; Fibroblasts; Melanoma; Neutrophils
Events promoting tumor progression and metastasis occur at early stages of malignant cancers and usually consist of tumor – stromal, tumor - lymph/blood vessel and tumor – immune system interactions. In cutaneous melanoma, lymph node metastasis is the first hallmark of advanced stage disease, thus meaning a worse clinical prognosis with mortality rates exceeding 50%. Identification of leading signaling networks controlling lymphogenic metastasis remains a major challenge. We aim to identify tumor- and stromal-derived factors that influence metastatic behavior and to dissect their signaling and functional properties with regard to enable early lymphogenic tumor spread.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Single cell RNA sequencing analysis, Skin fibroblast lineage tracing mouse models, Skin cancer mouse models, Flow cytometry, Qualitative and quantitative methods in protein biochemistry and molecular biology, Cell and tissue culture, Transfection of cells, Histology and immuno-histochemistry, RNAScope
- Frech, S. and Forsthuber, A. et al., 2021. Hedgehog Signaling in Papillary Fibroblasts Is Essential for Hair Follicle Regeneration during Wound Healing
- Wenzina, J. et al. (2020) ‘Inhibition of p38/MK2 Signaling Prevents Vascular Invasion of Melanoma’, Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 140(4), pp. 878-890.e5. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jid.2019.08.451.
- Forsthuber, A. et al., 2018. CXCL5 as Regulator of Neutrophil Function in Cutaneous Melanoma. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jid.2018.07.006.
- Soler-Cardona, A. and Forsthuber, A. et al., 2018. CXCL5 Facilitates Melanoma Cell-Neutrophil Interaction and Lymph Node Metastasis. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 138(7), pp.1627-1635. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jid.2018.01.035.
- Ristl, R. et al., 2012. Description of a Putative Oligosaccharyl:S-Layer Protein Transferase from the Tyrosine O-Glycosylation System of Paenibacillus alvei CCM 2051T. Adv Microbiol. 2012 Dec 1;2(4):537-546. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/aim.2012.24069.