The special outpatient department for Vaccinations, Travel and Tropical Medicine is located within MedUni Vienna's Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine. Private patients, staff and students of MedUni Vienna can obtain vaccinations there.
The special outpatient department for Vaccinations, Travel and Tropical Medicine is primarily concerned with treating diseases that can be prevented by vaccinations and/or chemoprophylaxis and is a special resource for patients in high-risk groups.
Its services include:
- Inspection of existing vaccination documents
- Checking vaccination status
- Issuing vaccination certificates
- Serological checks where indicated by medical history (e.g. immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella)
- Travel vaccinations and advice
- Drawing up personalised vaccination plans
- Vaccination documentation for the electronic vaccination management system
- Issuing e-mail reminders for booster vaccinations
The Department offers all vaccinations included in the Austrian vaccination scheme, as well as vaccinations for international travel. The special outpatient department checks which vaccine will be most effective and best tolerated by the person concerned and whether it provides sufficient immunity. This will be based on the very latest scientific knowledge. New tests are conducted, in order to draw up a personalised vaccination plan. The outpatient department is also an officially authorised yellow fever vaccination center.
Vaccinations for prevention and for high-risk groups
A weakened body needs special protection. The immune system is often weakened by chronic diseases and ongoing treatments. Those affected have a higher risk of succumbing to infections. It is therefore important to protect such people from infections by means of vaccinations. However, due to a weakened immune system, patients sometimes exhibit a diminished response to vaccinations.
One of the main focuses of the special outpatient department is the prevention of diseases that are preventable by vaccination and/or chemoprophylaxis – particularly among special target groups such as those
- with cancerous diseases
- with autoimmune diseases
- with immunosuppression or immunodeficiencies
- who have had transplants
- with chronic diseases (e.g. diabetes, chronic kidney diseases, etc.)
- who are obese
- who are pregnant
- who suffer from allergies
- with specific needs relating to migration
However, anyone is welcome to visit the outpatient department.
Vaccinations for staff and students
The special outpatient department is always available during opening hours to the staff of MedUni Vienna and their families (spouses or partners and children) and to students of MedUni Vienna and students in their clinical internship year. The Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine offers a comprehensive vaccination service. The electronic vaccination management system documents all vaccinations on an electronic vaccination certificate. A special service it provides is the Recall System, which automatically reminds people when booster vaccinations are due.
- Vaccinations for healthcare workers in keeping with current recommendations
- Seasonal vaccination campaigns (e.g. FSME, influenza, HPV, measles/mumps/rubella, diphtheria/tetanus/whooping cough/polio, pneumococci, meningococci, hepatitis A+B)
- Travel vaccinations and advice
- Vaccinations as per the Austrian vaccination scheme
The costs of vaccinations for healthcare workers and students in their clinical internship year are met by the Rectorate and costs for private vaccinations are available on request. Please e-mail any bookings for vaccinations or enquiries about vaccinations!