Completed comprehensive hospital managemen in consortium with a technical partner, 2005-2011
By the numbers:
- 330 bed private, tertiary care hospital
- 700+ hospital employees
- 79+ MUVI senior clinical specialists deployed
- 34 major clinical departments & specializations
- 5 Centers of Excellence
Awards and accreditations
PCMC is the 1st hospital in Southeast Asia to be accredited by Bupa International (quality assurance) and the 1st hospital in Klang Valley to attain Joint Commission International accreditation (quality management).
- Joint Commission International (USA)
- Bupa International (UK)
- Malaysian Society for Quality in Health (MSQH)
- FIA Formula 1 referral site
- 3rd best hospital worldwide for U.S. tourists (2009 by Medical Travel and Health Tourism Quality Alliance)
- Best hospital and hospital brand in Malaysia (2009 by Forst & Sullivan;
2009-2010 Brand Laureate Award)
- Best Community Project for the “Pediatric Orthopaedic Oncology” CSR program (2010 by the Asian Hospital Association)
Departments and Specializations
MUVI has been responsible for the conceptualization and roll out of all major clinical services at PCMC. The PCMC clinical management concept focuses on the use of Centers of Excellence. The five Centers of Excellence include: (1) Oncology; (2) Plastic Surgery, Cosmetology, Dermatology, and Burns; (3) Heart and Lung; (4) Urology, Nephrology, Men’s Health and Wellness; and (5) Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Pediatrics.
MUVI Milestones at PCMC
MUVI helped PCMC plan and achieve significant operational milestones across 3 roll-out phases. Aside from patient care KPIs, MUVI accomplished milestones in the following areas: education; quality, information, and risk management; environment of care; research; and partnership-building.
One of MUVI’s primary responsibilities was to meet all Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) related to the introduction of new clinical procedures and technologies. MUVI developed a clinical governance framework with PCMC leaders to actualize all clinical services. On the day-to-day level, MUVI led staff hiring, supervised clinical operations and flow, coordinated the installation of new medical equipment, and managed physician and clinical staff performance.
- As a result, PCMC now boasts several regionally unique specialty resources and services including: Dedicated stroke and burns ICUs
- Unidirectional laminar flow operating theater
- Surgical robotics
- Tomotherapy radiation oncology
- Single use dialysis
- Femtosecond laser LASIK (VISUMAX) / MEL 80
- Telecytogenetics service
- Specialized care management programs, i.e., primary cardiac intervention, inborn errors of metabolism, shock wave therapy, psycho-oncology, neuro-rehabilitation and hydrotherapy
- Automatic OT patient transfer system
- Unit dose pharmacy system
- Nuclear medicine hot lab / PET CT, fully compliant with European Standards
Clinical accomplishments at PCMC that were groundbreaking for the country of Malaysia include:
- Minimally invasive atrio-septal defect transfemoral closure
- Telepathology service
- Cartilage transplantation
- Robotics-assisted hysterectomy
- Use of balloon sinusplasty
- Intrathecal application of peripheral stem cells for MS
- Implantation of inflatable gastric balloon for weight loss
To support the provision of patient care, MUVI consultants also established a comprehensive hospital IT system and electronic medical record with an e-patient database, online oncology module, PACS radiology reporting, and RFID asset tracking (i.e., for patients and portable equipment).
MUVI onsite management focused on introducing sustainable solutions and novel learning modalities to improve staff education and knowledge transfer opportunities at PCMC. MUVI implemented the following educational milestones:
- Continuous Medical Education (CME) program for physicians
- Cadaver workshop series
- Patient Safety workshop series
- “Vienna Lecture Series” for inter-academic institution collaboration
- Executive leadership presentations discussing future healthcare challenges, such as pandemic flu
MUVI supported PCMC with the establishment of a clinical research center, which has resulted in the hospital’s participation in multiple national and international conferences and invitations to give presentations and submit abstracts and posters. Significant PCMC research collaborations include a project headed by MOH, MUV, and University of Malaya in the field of breast cancer research and psycho-oncology.