All students at Austrian universities must pay both tuition and Students Union fees. However, there are permanent and temporary exemptions.
Contribution Obligation and Amount
There is essentially a contribution obligation for all students at Austrian universities. The level of tuition fees is
- € 363,36 per semester for EU citizens or
- € 726,72 per semester for third country nationals.
In addition to relevant tuition fees, the Students Union contribution shall be paid, including insurance, in an amount of € 19,70.
Students shall therefore pay a total amount of € 383,06 and € 746,42 per semester.
Temporary exemption from tuition fees exists for regular students on a Master’s or PhD programme for the duration of the standard study period, plus two semesters.
The same applies to regular students on a degree programme if the stipulated study period per study phase is not exceeded by more than two semesters.
The following are deemed regular students:
- Austrian citizens,
- EU citizens,
- EEA citizens (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein),
- Nationals of the Swiss Confederation,
- Convention refugees (including from another EU State),
- Beneficiaries of subsidiary protection, third country nationals who have been granted the following residence permit status:
- “Permanent residence EU” issued by the responsible Austrian authority
- “Permanent residence EU” issued by the responsible authority in another EU Member State and a residence permit for Austria
- “Permanent residence card” issued by the responsible Austrian authority
- Students with a residence permit status other than “student residence permit”.
- Students to whom the Regulation on Groups of Persons is applicable.
- Turkish nationals based on the EEA/Turkey Association Agreement, if they:
- normally live with their parents in Austria and
- the parents are or were duly employed in Austria.
In case of exceeding the non-contributory period, tuition fees shall be paid of € 363.36 per semester. This contribution is increased by 10% within the additional extension.
Regular students holding citizenship of a country set out in Annex 3 to § 3a of the Tuition Fees Regulation 2004 are generally exempt from tuition fees and must only pay the Students Union contribution, including insurance, of € 19,70.
These countries include: Afghanistan, Angola, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Yemen, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Kiribati, Comoros, Congo - Democratic Republic, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Solomon Islands, Zambia, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania - United Republic, Timor-Leste, Togo, Chad, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu and Central African Republic
External students are
- Students admitted to individual teaching units from academic subjects, and
- Students attending university courses.
External students admitted to individual teaching units from academic subjects shall pay tuition fees of € 363.36 (plus Students Union contribution of € 19.70), regardless of their citizenship, starting from the first semester. Tuition fees are not increased here in case of payment within the additional extension.
External students, who attend a university course, do not have to pay tuition fees, but only the course contribution stipulated for the university course and the Students Union contribution of € 19.70.
Students Union contribution
The Students Union contribution, including insurance, in a total of € 19.70 does not form part of tuition fees and shall be paid by all students without exception for each semester.
Upon payment of tuition and MedUni Vienna Students Union fees, continuation of studies is automatically notified to the Medical University of Vienna. In this case additional notification of continuation is not necessary.
If tuition and Students Union fees are not paid, or not paid in full, within the admission period, this leads to deregistration from studies.
Tuition and Students Union fees shall be paid in full during the admission period. If this does not take place, no admission to or deregistration from studies is carried out.
The data required for payment of contributions are provided to students in their MedCampus account.
Tuition charges may also be paid directly in the Studies and Examinations Department using a bank card (Maestro card).