Cardiology; Clinical Trial; Critical Care; Secondary Prevention; Thrombosis
Major areas of interest of my working group spread from the discovery of basic pathopyhsiologic mechanisms to improvements in daily clinical practice including the role of the innate and adaptive immune system and, in particular, of dendritic cells and T cells in the development of cardiovascular diseases, antithrombotic therapy, design, analysis and critical appraisal of clinical trials, and biomarkers and personalized medicine.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Laboratory methods including pPCR, flow cytometry, cell culture including human primary cells, ELISA, functional assays, and clinical research including study design, risk prediction tools, and survival analysis.
- Fractalkine influences T lymphocyte-vessel wall interaction (2004)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Schrödinger
- Koller, L. et al., 2017. Soluble Urokinase-Type Plasminogen Activator Receptor Improves Risk Prediction in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure. JACC: Heart Failure, 5(4), pp.268-277. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jchf.2016.12.008.
- Goliasch, G. et al., 2012. Routinely available biomarkers improve prediction of long-term mortality in stable coronary artery disease: the Vienna and Ludwigshafen Coronary Artery Disease (VILCAD) risk score. European Heart Journal, 33(18), pp.2282-2289. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehs164.
- Niessner, A. et al., 2008. Prognostic value of apoptosis markers in advanced heart failure patients. European Heart Journal, 30(7), pp.789-796. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehp004.
- Niessner, A. et al., 2007. Synergistic Proinflammatory Effects of the Antiviral Cytokine Interferon- and Toll-Like Receptor 4 Ligands in the Atherosclerotic Plaque. Circulation, 116(18), pp.2043-2052. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.697789.
- Niessner, A. et al., 2006. Pathogen-Sensing Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells Stimulate Cytotoxic T-Cell Function in the Atherosclerotic Plaque Through Interferon- . Circulation, 114(23), pp.2482-2489. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.642801.