Acid-Base Equilibrium; Asthma; Bilirubin; Gilbert Disease; Heme Oxygenase-1
- Section of Cardiovascular Medicine
My main primary clinical and research focus is asthma, in particular severe asthma. Asthma is increasingly recognized as an umbrella term for heterogeneouse phenotypes of disease or even different diseases. The research is design of elucidate different phenotypes and pathological/molecular mechanism. Very limited data on histopathological and immunohistologic patterns in peripheral lung tissue in patients with severer asthma are available and thus, analysis and correlation of those findings with clinical, laboratory and radiological data is part of my research. Another research focus is the prevalence of severe asthma in Austria that is an important determinant in developing chronic care models and new phenotype-specific treatments for severe asthma.
The heme oxygenase 1 system and its metabolites and their protective role in health and disease is another area of my research.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Quantitative and digital immunhistochemistry to evaluate peripheral lung tissue (Software: Visiopharm); data analysis of large population-based datasets; phase I/II clinical trials.
- Doberer, D., Trejo Bittar, H.E. & Wenzel, S.E., 2015. Should lung biopsies be performed in patients with severe asthma? European Respiratory Review, 24(137), pp.525-539. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1183/16000617.0045-2015.
- Klickovic, U. et al., 2014. Human Pharmacokinetics of High Dose Oral Curcumin and Its Effect on Heme Oxygenase-1 Expression in Healthy Male Subjects. BioMed Research International, 2014, pp.1-7. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/458592.
- Doberer, D. et al., 2010. Haem arginate infusion stimulates haem oxygenase-1 expression in healthy subjects. British Journal of Pharmacology, 161(8), pp.1751-1762. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2010.00990.x.
- Doberer, D. et al., 2009. A critique of Stewart�s approach: the chemical mechanism of dilutional acidosis. Intensive Care Medicine, 35(12), pp.2173-2180. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00134-009-1528-y.