Adenosine; Biological Psychiatry; Cerebral Cortex; Cognitive Science; Dopamine; GABAergic Neurons; Limbic System; Neuropharmacology; Neurophysiology and behavioral
I am interested in untangling the neuronal circuits engaged in learning, motivation and pro-social behavior. With this respect, one current study interrogates the role of tonic GABA currents in cognitive functions. In addition, I examine the means by which the experience of early-life stress might enhance the risk of developing psychiatric disorders.
To this end, I employ a system as well as a cellular approach in behavioral and genetic murine models, and I investigate the dynamics of specific neuronal circuits by a battery of electrophysiological approaches and pharmacological manipulations.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Electrophysiology, in-vivo and ex-vivo single unit recordings from anesthetized rodents;
- Electrophysiology, whole-cell patch-clamp recordings from rodent acute slices;
- Cognitive and motivational behavioral tasks;
- Rodent models of stress disorders and psychosis;
- Confocal and fluorescence microscopy
- Role of the medial prefrontal cortex - basolateral amygdala circuit in consolidation of fear extinction (2007)
Source of Funding: Brain & Behavior Research Foundation, NARSAD Young Investigator Award (USA)
- Valenti, O., Mikus, N. & Klausberger, T., 2018. The cognitive nuances of surprising events: exposure to unexpected stimuli elicits firing variations in neurons of the dorsal CA1 hippocampus. Brain Structure and Function, 223(7), pp.3183-3211. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00429-018-1681-6.
- Valenti, O., Gill, K.M. & Grace, A.A., 2012. Different stressors produce excitation or inhibition of mesolimbic dopamine neuron activity: response alteration by stress pre-exposure. European Journal of Neuroscience, 35(8), pp.1312-1321. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2012.08038.x.
- Valenti, O. et al., 2011. Antipsychotic Drugs Rapidly Induce Dopamine Neuron Depolarization Block in a Developmental Rat Model of Schizophrenia. Journal of Neuroscience, 31(34), pp.12330-12338. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2808-11.2011.
- Valenti, O., Lodge, D.J. & Grace, A.A., 2011. Aversive Stimuli Alter Ventral Tegmental Area Dopamine Neuron Activity via a Common Action in the Ventral Hippocampus. Journal of Neuroscience, 31(11), pp.4280-4289. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5310-10.2011.
- Valenti, O. & Grace, A.A., 2008. Entorhinal Cortex Inhibits Medial Prefrontal Cortex and Modulates the Activity States of Electrophysiologically Characterized Pyramidal Neurons In Vivo. Cerebral Cortex, 19(3), pp.658-674. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/cercor/bhn114.