Bone and Bones; Dentistry; Regenerative Medicine; Saliva
Our research strategy is based on the implementation of the basic findings of cell and developmental biology, genetics, and material research in the development of causal treatment strategies in dentistry. For example, the regeneration of the periodontium or peri-implant changes remains a major challenge. Also, the regeneration of an inflamed dental pulp has not yet succeeded. The impact of saliva on the oral health is only partially understood. The correlations of age, systemic diseases such as osteoporosis and diabetes, and medications in the field of dentistry are another research priority.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
We use basic in vitro cell culture techniques, with a focus on oral and bone cells such as periodontal fibroblasts, osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Based on a large panel of assays on proliferation, migration, differentiation, signaling and gene expression, we test the cellular response to various biomaterials, bone grafts, and various bioactive molecules. The research portfolio includes explant cultures and preclinical research, with the main focus on bone regeneration and the osseointegration of dental implants. Recently, we took advantage of µCT to investigate the skull anatomy of various mouse models by geometrics morphometrics.
- Kuchler U, Luvizuto ER, Tangl S, Watzek G, Gruber R. Short-term teriparatide delivery and osseointegration: a clinical feasibility study. J Dent Res. 2011 Aug;90(8):1001-6.
- Busenlechner D, Tangl S, Arnhart C, Redl H, Schuh C, Watzek G, Gruber R. Resorption of deproteinized bovine bone mineral in a porcine calvaria augmentation model. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012 Jan;23(1):95-9.
- Kuchler U, Schwarze UY, Dobsak T, Heimel P, Bosshardt DD, Kneissel M, Gruber R. Dental and periodontal phenotype in sclerostin knockout mice. Int J Oral Sci. 2014 Jun;6(2):70-6.
- Caballe-Serrano J, Cvikl B, Bosshardt DD, Buser D, Lussi A, Gruber R. Saliva suppresses osteoclastogenesis in murine bone marrow cultures. J Dent Res. 2015 Jan;94(1):192-200.
- Caballe-Serrano J, Sawada K, Schuldt Filho G, Bosshardt DD, Buser D, Gruber R. Bone Conditioned Medium: Preparation and Bioassay. J Vis Exp. 2015 Jul 8;(101):e52707.