Anti-Infective Agents; Anti-Infective Agents, Local; Bacterial Infections and Mycoses; Biofilms; Environmental Microbiology; Epidemiologic Studies; Hand Hygiene; Hygiene; Infection Control; Preventive Medicine; Surgical Wound Infection
- Bone Research
- Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
Head: Elisabeth Presterl
Research Area: Infection control research focuses on epidemiology, prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections (HAI) and multi-resistant bacteria genotyping of the latter. We do studies for applied hospital hygiene and intervention studies.
Infection control research focuses on epidemiology, prevention and control of healthcare-associated infections (HAI) and multi-resistant bacteria genotyping of the latter. We do studies for applied hospital hygiene and intervention studies. A continuous interest is in the epidemiology, clinical course, control and prevention of invasive fungal infections.
The microbiological research focuses on microbial biofilms, biofilm- and implant-associated infections (prosthetic joint infections, endocarditis) and biofilm formation factors for early diagnosis and treatment.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Infection control and epidemiology on healtcare associated infections, infection transmission and control. Intervention studies to improve processes
- Control and characterization of multiresistant microorganismis with the help of new typing methods and technology (NGS)
- Environmental cultures for applied hospital studies - environmental microbioma
- Biofilm models (static, dynamic), staining and quantifying of biofilms, fluorescent stains, confocal laser scanning microscopy (together with the imaging core unit), resistance testing of biofilms;
- Testing, improvement and quality control of methods for disinfection and sterilization;
- Weißer Arztmantel – Infektionsvektor (2018)
Source of Funding: City of Vienna, Wissenschaftlichen Fonds des Bürgermeisters der Bundeshauptstadt Wien
- Abbas, M. et al., 2018. Impact of participation in a surgical site infection surveillance network: results from a large international cohort study. Journal of Hospital Infection. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2018.12.003.
- Plachouras, D. et al., 2018. Antimicrobial use in European acute care hospitals: results from the second point prevalence survey (PPS) of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use, 2016 to 2017. Eurosurveillance, 23(46). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.23.46.1800393.
- Zatorska, B. et al., 2018. Bacterial Extracellular DNA Production Is Associated with Outcome of Prosthetic Joint Infections. BioMed Research International, 2018, pp.1-6. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2018/1067413.
- Suchomel, M. et al., 2018. Chlorhexidine-coated surgical gloves influence the bacterial flora of hands over a period of 3 hours. Antimicrobial Resistance & Infection Control, 7(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13756-018-0395-0.
- Tschelaut, L. et al., 2018. A survey on current knowledge, practice and beliefs related to preoperative antimicrobial decolonization regimens for prevention of surgical site infections among Austrian surgeons. Journal of Hospital Infection, 100(4), pp.386-392. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2018.07.019.