Acute Coronary Syndrome; Anticoagulants; Blood Platelets; Cardiology; Coronary Artery Disease; Embolism and Thrombosis
- European Platelet Academy
- ICPC - International Clopidogrel Pharmacogenomics Consortium
My main research interest is the field of cardiovascular thrombosis. As a PhD student I carried out research on thrombin effects in vivo and in vitro. Thereafter, I expanded my research to fields of arterial thrombosis and personalized antiplatelet therapy. My publications have added to a debate in the cardiology community surrounding the efficacy and safety of conventional antiplatelet treatment. I have background in response variability to platelet inhibitors. In particular, I described the link between high platelet reactivity to clopidogrel and ischemic risk, the correlation between clinical factors and platelet reactivity, and the effect of genetic polymorphisms and drug-drug interactions on the pharmacodynamics of antiplatelet drugs and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease. Subsequently, I focused my research on characterization of von Willebrand Factor aptamers ARC15105 and ARC1779. During these years, I acquired skills in biomedical statistics and modeling, including methods of meta-analyses, modeling of scores and algorithms as well as path analyses.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Clinical studies, platelet reactivity testing, genetic testing, statistical modeling, meta-analysis, path analysis.
- Siller-Matula, J.M., 2012. Hemorrhagic Complications Associated With Aspirin. JAMA, 307(21). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.6152.
- Siller-Matula, J.M. et al., 2008. Calcium-Channel Blockers Reduce the Antiplatelet Effect of Clopidogrel. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 52(19), pp.1557-1563. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2008.07.055.
- Siller-Matula, J.M. et al., 2009. Effects of pantoprazole and esomeprazole on platelet inhibition by clopidogrel. American Heart Journal, 157(1), pp.148.e1-148.e5. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2008.09.017.
- Tantry, U.S. et al., 2013. Consensus and Update on the Definition of On-Treatment Platelet Reactivity to Adenosine Diphosphate Associated With Ischemia and Bleeding. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 62(24), pp.2261-2273. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.07.101.
- Siller-Matula, J.M. et al., 2012. ARC15105 Is a Potent Antagonist of Von Willebrand Factor Mediated Platelet Activation and Adhesion. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, 32(4), pp.902-909. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.111.237529.