- Unit Medical Anthropology and Global Health
Anthropological perspectives on infectious diseases and in disaster response, esp. Ebola Virus Disease, Lassa fever: psycho-social situation of Ebola survivors, occupational situation of health care workers; health seeking behavior in times of crisis.
Access to health care for vulnerable populations (specifically migrants, refugees, certain ethnic groups)
Migration of medical professionals from resource-poor settings (“brain drain”)
Diversity studies: Development of curricula in resource poor settings; transcultural competence in the medical curriculum
Ethnopharmacology: geophagy (consumption of clay) and its implications for public health research in Africa and Asia
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Qualitative study designs (semi-structured and in-depth interviews; participatory research), Media Analysis, Applied Social Science Methods; Analysis with the software atlas.ti, using different theoreticel frameworks, such as feminist and socio-political approaches
- A Global Social Science Network for Infectious Threats and Antimicrobial Resistance – SoNAR-Global (2018)
Source of Funding: EU, Horizon 2020
- 2018 Traugott MT, Singh M, Raj DK, Kutalek R: Geophagy in India. A qualitative exploratory study on motivation and perception of female consumers. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Health https://doi.org/10.1093/trstmh/try123
- 2018 Kutalek R; Jirovsky E, Grabovac I: From macro- to micro-factors in health: Social science approaches in research on sexually transmitted infections. PLoS Medicine 15(1): e1002490. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002490
- 2017 Mayrhuber S; Niederkrotenthaler T, Kutalek R: We are Survivors and not a Virus: Content Analysis of Media Reporting on Ebola Survivors in Liberia. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 11(8): e0005845. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0005845
- 2016 Cohn S, Kutalek R. Historical Parallels, Ebola Virus Disease and Cholera: Understanding Community Distrust and Social Violence with Epidemics. PLOS Currents Outbreaks. 2016 Jan 26. Edition 1. doi: 10.1371/currents.outbreaks.aa1f2b60e8d43939b43fbd93e1a63a94.
- 2015 Kutalek R; Wang S; Falla M; Wesseh S; Gilbert J: Ebola interventions: Listen to communities. Lancet Global Health 22. Jan, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(15)70010-0