Cell Differentiation; Erythroid Cells; Signal Transduction
Our research focus is understanding the signal transduction in erythroid progenitor cells during proliferation and differentiation. Furthermore, the cultivation and cryopreservation of adult progenitor cells is also an important is of big interest.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Primary cell culture from cord blood or umbilical cord are used for the signal transduction analysis. Expansion of erythroid progenitor cells from cord blood and differentiation into red blood cells are one of the prerequisites for these analyses. A broad spectrum of biochemical, cell biological, and imaging techniques are used.
- Schuster, C. et al., 2014. Human embryonic epidermis contains a diverse Langerhans cell precursor pool. Development, 141(4), pp.807-815. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1242/dev.102699.
- Mairhofer, M. et al., 2013. Evaluation of a Xeno-Free Protocol for Long-Term Cryopreservation of Cord Blood Cells. cell transplant, 22(6), pp.1087-1099. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3727/096368912X657396.
- Zeisberger, S.M. et al., 2011. Biological and Physicochemical Characterization of a Serum- and Xeno-Free Chemically Defined Cryopreservation Procedure for Adult Human Progenitor Cells. cell transplant, 20(8), pp.1241-1257. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3727/096368910X547426.
- Sanidas, I. et al., 2010. The ratio of SRPK1/SRPK1a regulates erythroid differentiation in K562 leukaemic cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Cell Research, 1803(12), pp.1319-1331. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamcr.2010.07.008.
- Grech, G. et al., 2008. Igbp1 is part of a positive feedback loop in stem cell factor-dependent, selective mRNA translation initiation inhibiting erythroid differentiation. Blood, 112(7), pp.2750-2760. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1182/blood-2008-01-133140.