Adrenal Glands; Bariatric Medicine; Endocrinology; Glucose Clamp Technique; Glucose Metabolism Disorders; Insulin Resistance; Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy; Obesity, Morbid; Phenotype; Pituitary Diseases; Pituitary Function Tests; Thyroid Diseases
During the recent years we have performed studies on glucose metabolism in normal volunteers and diabetic subjects using NMR spectroscopy (non-invasive determination of glycogen concentrations in skeletal muscle and liver, muscular glucose-6-phosphate, and intracellular lipids). Our group also applies various tracer techniques and biopsies of skeletal muscle in combination with hyperinsulinemic- and pancreatic-clamp tests to determine rates of glucose turnover, gluconeogenesis, and molecular mechanisms insulin resistance. We am especially interested in elucidating the mechanisms of nutrient induced insulin resistance in humans. A major focus of my research work was the pathogenesis of vascular and myocardial disease associated with the insulin resistance syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Metabolic NMR spectroscopy in vivo
- Comprehensive metabolic phenotyping (Clamp Studies, Biopsies)
- Smajis, S. et al., 2019. Metabolic effects of a prolonged, very-high-dose dietary fructose challenge in healthy subjects. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 111(2), pp.369–377. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqz271.
- Scherer, T. et al., 2017. Chronic Intranasal Insulin Does Not Affect Hepatic Lipids but Lowers Circulating BCAAs in Healthy Male Subjects. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 102(4), pp.1325–1332. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jc.2016-3623.
- Beiglböck, H. et al., 2020. Effects of Thyroid Function on Phosphodiester Concentrations in Skeletal Muscle and Liver: An In Vivo NMRS Study. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 105(12), pp.e4866–e4874. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1210/clinem/dgaa663.
- Wolf, P. et al., 2019. Identifying a disease-specific renin–angiotensin–aldosterone system fingerprint in patients with primary adrenal insufficiency. European Journal of Endocrinology, 181(1), pp.39–44. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1530/EJE-19-0086.
- Wolf, P. et al., 2020. Gluconeogenesis, But Not Glycogenolysis, Contributes to the Increase in Endogenous Glucose Production by SGLT-2 Inhibition. Diabetes Care, 44(2), pp.541–548. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/dc20-1983.