Brain Neoplasms; Glioblastoma; Neuroimaging; Pathology, Molecular
I am neuropathologist and Principal Investigator at the Division of Neuropathology and Neurochemistry. The main focus of my research is the deep phenotypic characterization of malignant brain tumors such as glioblastoma and primary CNS lymphoma. We typically study population-scale cohorts, which we recruit through a disease registry and the local neurobiobank, and bring together digital pathology, neuroimaging and genomic/epigenomic methods. We are particularly interested in the longitudinal tumor evolution including clonal outgrowth as well as the unique environment of aging brains.
- Targeting clonal complexity in glioblastoma (2020)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), TAI 98B
- Portrait of Primary CNS Lymphoma (2016)
Source of Funding: OeNB (Oesterreichische Nationalbank), 16725
- Disease progression and treatment-induced alterations in glioblastoma (2014)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), KLIF
- Klughammer, J. et al., 2018. The DNA methylation landscape of glioblastoma disease progression shows extensive heterogeneity in time and space. Nature Medicine, 24(10), pp.1611–1624. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41591-018-0156-x.
- Gesperger, J. et al., 2020. Improved Diagnostic Imaging of Brain Tumors by Multimodal Microscopy and Deep Learning. Cancers, 12(7), p.1806. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/cancers12071806.
- Roetzer, T. et al., 2020. Sex-Specific Differences in Primary CNS Lymphoma. Cancers, 12(6), p.1593. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/cancers12061593.
- Barthel, F.P. et al., 2019. Longitudinal molecular trajectories of diffuse glioma in adults. Nature, 576(7785), pp.112–120. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41586-019-1775-1.
- Hayes, J. et al., 2017. Genomic analysis of the origins and evolution of multicentric diffuse lower-grade gliomas. Neuro-Oncology, 20(5), pp.632–641. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/nox205.