Innate Immunity; Nucleic Acids; RNA Editing
My research focus is to investigate the different roles of RNA and understand how they are detected and modified. One essential RNA processing enzyme is the human tRNA ligase. It catalyzes the ligation of RNA ends during pre-tRNA splicing and during unconventional splicing of Xbp1 mRNA during stress responses. I want to gain insights into the molecular details of these reactions and investigate how the pathways are regulated. Additionally, I am part of the young independent researcher group bioSTAR (funded by the FWF). In this project, we aim to develop programmable chemical probes that are capable of sensing specific RNA sequences followed by a bioorthogonal reaction. As a first application we want to use them to target bacterial RNA sequences and test their potential as novel antibiotic drugs.
- bioSTAR (2019)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Young Independent Researcher Group
- Ablasser A, Goldeck M, Cavlar T, Deimling T, Witte G, Rohl I, Hopfner KP, Ludwig J, Hornung V. cGAS produces a 2'-5'-linked cyclic dinucleotide second messenger that activates STING. Nature 2013, 498(7454): 380-384.
- Goldeck M, Tuschl T, Hartmann G, Ludwig J. Efficient solid-phase synthesis of pppRNA by using product-specific labeling. Angewandte Chemie 2014, 53(18): 4694-4698.
- Goubau D*, Schlee M*, Deddouche S, Pruijssers AJ, Zillinger T, Goldeck M, Schuberth, C, Van der Veen, AG, Fujimura, T, Rehwinkel, J et al. Antiviral immunity via RIG-I-mediated recognition of RNA bearing 5'-diphosphates. Nature 2014, 514(7522): 372-375.
- Herzner AM*, Hagman CA*, Goldeck M, Wolter S, Kübler K, Wittman S, Gramberg T, Andreeva L, Hopfner KP, Mertens C et al. Sequence-specific activation of cGAS by Y-form DNA structures as found in primary HIV-1 cDNA. Nature Immunology 2015, 16(10): 1025-33.
- Engel C, Brugmann G, Lambing S, Muhlenbeck LH, Marx S, Hagen C, Horvath D, Goldeck M, Ludwig J, Herzner AM et al. RIG-I resists hypoxia-induced immunosuppression and dedifferentiation. Cancer Immunology Research 2017, 5(6): 455-467.