History of Medicine
My research focuses on the history of psychiatry and its institutional cultures in the 19th and 20th century, following a patient-oriented approach. My current research addresses objects and spaces of psychiatry, putting a special emphasis on the hospital bed and the bath tub, both important treatment devices at the beginning of the 20th century. In my work I am seeking a better understanding for the entanglement of material culture, spaces, practices (of knowledge), and the senses in the context of medicine.
- Material Configurations of Nursing and its ethical Implications. The Prolonged Bath Treatment in Psychiatry, in: European Journal for Nursing History and Ethics 2/2020, S. 101-123.
- Alltag und Aneignung in Psychiatrien um 1900. Selbstzeugnisse von Frauen aus der Sammlung Prinzhorn. Wien/Köln/Weimar: Böhlau 2009.
- Friedrich, L., Harrasser, K. & Kaiser, C. eds., 2018. Szenographien des Subjekts. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-19208-2.
- Material Cultures of Psychiatry, Bielefeld: Transcript 2020, with Benoit Majerus
- Roberts-Pedersen, E., 2017. Waltraud Ernst (ed.), Work, Psychiatry and Society, c.1750,