Cerebral Cortex; Hippocampus; Interneurons; Neural Networks (Computer); Prefrontal Cortex; Synapses
Cortical Circuits and Cognition
We aim to determine neuronal network operations in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus enabling complex cognitive processes including learning and decision making. For this we record the temporal activity of identified GABAergic interneurons and pyramidal cells in the prefrontal cortex and hippocampus and investigate their contribution to network oscillations and cognitive tasks. Our ongoing research indicates that distinct types of cortical neuron contribute differentially to synaptic circuits, network timing and cognitive behaviour, generating cell assemblies and higher representations in the cortex
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
We perform electrophysiological recordings and optogenetic manipulations of distinct types of neuron, neuronal assemblies and network oscillations during decision making, learning and memory tasks. Furthermore we investigate the molecular expression and synaptic connectivity of individual neurons and neuronal circuits with immunohistochemistry, confocal laser microscopy, electron microscopy and 3D neurolucida reconstructions.
- Lasztoczi B, Klausberger T. (2014) Layer-Specific GABAergic Control of Distinct Gamma Oscillations in the CA1 Hippocampus. Neuron, 81: 1126-1139.
- Lapray D, Lasztoczi B, Lagler M, Viney TJ, Katona L, Valenti O, Hartwich K, Borhegyi Z, Somogyi P, Klausberger T, (2012) Behavior-dependent specialization of identified hippocampal interneurons. Nature Neurosci, 15: 1265-71.
- Fuentealba, P. et al., 2008. Ivy Cells: A Population of Nitric-Oxide-Producing, Slow-Spiking GABAergic Neurons and Their Involvement in Hippocampal Network Activity. Neuron, 57(6), pp.917-929. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2008.01.034.
- Klausberger, T. & Somogyi, P., 2008. Neuronal Diversity and Temporal Dynamics: The Unity of Hippocampal Circuit Operations. Science, 321(5885), pp.53-57. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1149381.
- Klausberger T, Magill P J, Marton L F, Roberts J.D.B, Cobden P M, Buzsaki G, Somogyi P, (2003) Brain state- and cell type-specific firing of hippocampal interneurons in vivo. Nature, 421: 844-848.