Biomedical Engineering; Lasers; Microscopy, Fluorescence, Multiphoton; Molecular Imaging; Multimodal Imaging; Tomography, Optical Coherence
My main research interests are light source development and its integration into biomedical imaging systems as optical coherence tomography and nonlinear imaging modalities with the emphasis to transfer scientific knowledge to real world applications. In a multidisciplinary environment I act as a link between the scientists and the doctors and work on the optimization and adaptation of a multimodal molecular high resolution and high speed imaging platform to extract morphologic and molecular specific information from specimen. The design of the novel complementary techniques allows the visualization of subtle changes on a molecular level even before morphological changes occur to detect changes in diseased tissue at an early stage.
- 3D3CSI - Three-dimensional Clinical Coherent Chemically-sensitive Imaging (2009)
Source of Funding: EU, FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IEF
- Andreana, M. et al., 2017. Epi-detecting label-free multimodal imaging platform using a compact diode-pumped femtosecond solid-state laser. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 22(09), p.1. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.JBO.22.9.091517.
- Piksarv, P. et al., 2017. Integrated single- and two-photon light sheet microscopy using accelerating beams. Scientific Reports, 7(1). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-01543-4.
- Kumar, S. et al., 2015. Single-pulse CARS based multimodal nonlinear optical microscope for bioimaging. Optics Express, 23(10), p.13082. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.23.013082.
- Leitgeb, R.A. et al., 2004. Ultrahigh resolution Fourier domain optical coherence tomography. Optics Express, 12(10), p.2156. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OPEX.12.002156.
- Bizheva, K. et al., 2006. Optophysiology: Depth-resolved probing of retinal physiology with functional ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 103(13), pp.5066-5071. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0506997103.