Communication; Educational Measurement; Educational Technology; Learning; Self-Assessment; Teaching
- Medical Education Research
My research focuses on the improvement of self-judgments of skills in undergraduate medical students. A typical example is Doctor-Patient communication. This is a complex task that has to be refined throughout a lifetime of practice, which is often done without formal supervision. Thus we need to teach students not only communication skills, but also how to identify own strengths and weaknesses in applying them. Generally self-judgments of own performance have found to be inaccurate, thus informing further learning negatively. So in order to facilitate students’ for life-long learning we have to improve their self-judgment skills. As shown with text-learning and learning to solve chess problems self-judgments can be improved when the subjects engages in a suitable self-reflection exercise. My research aims to identify and improve suitable self-reflection exercises for doctor-patient communication to improve students’ self-judgments and thus their self-directed live long learning of communication skills.
- Wagner-Menghin, M., de Bruin, A. & van Merrienboer, J.J.G., 2015. Monitoring communication with patients: analyzing judgments of satisfaction (JOS). Adv in Health Sci Educ. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10459-015-9642-9.
- Wagner-Menghin, M., Preusche, I. & Schmidts, M., 2015. Practical clinical skills assessment for a cohort of 680 2nd year human medicine students. Is it feasible? Wien Med Wochenschr, 165(5-6), pp.91-97. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10354-015-0348-7.
- Wagner-Menghin, M., Preusche, I. & Schmidts, M., 2013. The Effects of Reusing Written Test Items: A Study Using the Rasch Model. ISRN Education, 2013, pp.1-7. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/585420.
- Preusche, I. & Wagner-Menghin, M., 2012. Rising to the challenge: cross-cultural adaptation and psychometric evaluation of the adapted German version of the Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy for Students (JSPE-S). Adv in Health Sci Educ, 18(4), pp.573-587. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10459-012-9393-9.
- Preusche, I., Schmidts, M. & Wagner-menghin, M., 2012. Twelve tips for designing and implementing a structured rater training in OSCEs. Medical Teacher, 34(5), pp.368-372. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2012.652705.