Drug Evaluation, Preclinical; Molecular Imaging; Positron-Emission Tomography; Radiochemistry; Radiopharmaceuticals
- Radiochemistry and Biomarker Development
The focus of my research is the development of new PET (positron emisson tomography) tracers with different applications, e.g. neurology, psychiatry and oncology. For my doctoral thesis, I have been working on the synthesis of new radiopharmaceuticals for the Translocator Protein (TSPO). The TSPO is a highly interesting target for neurodegenerative disorders, where inflammation plays a major role. Unfortunately, no ideal TSPO PET tracer exits. A new improved TSPO PET tracer would provide deeper understanding and more accurate diagnosis of several diseases, such as multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Drug development: synthetic organic chemistry, radiochemistry.
- Characterization techniques: HPLC, NMR, UV-Vis and IR spectroscopy.
- In vitro techniques: autoradiography, genotyping, metabolism, binding affinity experiments.
- Synthesis of novel TSPO PET tracers: in vivo evaluation of [18F]VIE_TSPO_011 in NAFLD mice models (2018)
Source of Funding: OeAW (Austrian Academy of Sciences), Stipendium der Monatshefte für Chemie
- Berroteran-Infante, N. et al., 2018. [18F]FEPPA: Improved Automated Radiosynthesis, Binding Affinity, and Preliminary in Vitro Evaluation in Colorectal Cancer. ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 9(3), pp.177-181. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsmedchemlett.7b00367.
- Berroterán-Infante. et al., 2019. Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of new translocator protein ligands designed for positron emission tomography. Future Medicinal Chemistry, 11(6), pp.539–550. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4155/fmc-2018-0444.
- Berroterán-Infante, N. et al., 2019. Binding Affinity of Some Endogenous and Synthetic TSPO Ligands Regarding the rs6971 Polymorphism. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 20(3), p.563. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms20030563.
- Berroterán-Infante, N. et al., 2019. (R)-[18F]NEBIFQUINIDE: A promising new PET tracer for TSPO imaging. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 176, pp.410–418. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2019.05.008.