Cardiology; Mitral Valve Annuloplasty; Mitral Valve Insufficiency
- Mitral insufficiency group
My main research focus is to understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in ischemic mitral regurgitation valvular and myocardal remodeling. The complex mechanical and flow forces generated during ischemic mitral regurgitation result in remodeling not only at the myocardial but also at the valvular level which mechanisms are still to be elucidated in order to be able to prevent its occurence.
Besides, relevant animal models of cardiovascular diseases using percutaneous techniques represents another research interest to test novel devices therapies (mitral repair systems, TAVI,...)
I also share the main research interest of the group: Cardioprotection strategies for myocardial remodeling after ischemia/reperfusion or myocardial infarction.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Swine and ovine models of ischemic mitral regurgitation and primary mitral regurgitation by chordal rupture involving Percutaneous techniques and contrast echocardiography.
Echocardiography: large animals (GE Vivid7 and Siemens Accuson2000) and small rodents (Visual Sonics Fujifilm 3100). Cardiac phenotype description and characterization of different extracardiac diseases (Liver cirrhosis, Duschene muscular dystrophy, Sarcoidosis,...)
In vitro techniques: Primary cell isolation, MACS, EMT in-vitro models
- Hamza O, Kiss A, Kramer AM, Trojanek S, Tillmann KE, Abraham D, Podesser BK Characterization of a novel percutaneous closed chest swine model of ischemic mitral regurgitation guided by contrast echocardiography. 10.4244/EIJ-D-19-00095 EuroIntervention.
- Pilz P, Hamza O, Gidlöf O, Gonçalves I, Tretter V, Trojanek S, Abraham D, Heber S, Haller P, Podesser BK, Kiss A Remote ischemic perconditioning attenuates adverse cardiac remodeling and preserves left ventricular function in a rat model of reperfused myocardial infarction. Int J Cardiol. 2019 Jun 15;285:72-79.
- Gonçalves I, Acar E, Costantino S, Szabo L, Hamza O, Tretter V, Klein K, Trojanek S, Abraham D, Paneni F, Hallström S, Kiss A, Podesser BK Epigenetic modulation of Tenascin C in the heart: implications on myocardial ischemia, hypertrophy and metabolism. J Hypertens. 2019 Apr 3
- Osmanagic-Myers S, Kiss A, Manakanatas C, Hamza O, Sedlmayer F, Szabo PL, Fischer I, Fichtinger P, Podesser BK, Eriksson M, Foisner R. Endothelial progerin expression causes cardiovascular pathology through an impaired mechanoresponse. J Clin Invest. 2019 Feb 1;129(2):531-545.
- Kiss A, Shu H, Hamza O, Santer D, Tretter EV, Yao S, Markstaller K, Hallström S, Podesser BK, Klein KU. Argon preconditioning enhances postischaemic cardiac functional recovery following cardioplegic arrest and global cold ischaemia. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2018 Sep 1;54(3):539-546