Complement System Proteins; Graft Rejection; Kidney Transplantation; Nephrology; Organ Transplantation; Torque teno virus; Transplantation
My clinical research focuses on kidney allocation programs to enhance living and diseased donor kidney transplantation including ABO and HLA incompatible transplantation and kidney exchange programs. Another main topic is the improvement of diagnosis, treatment and preventon of antibody-mediated kidney allograft rejection. Within my lab based work I am focusing on the various aspects of the complement system, tolerance and immunologic monitoring in kidney transplantation.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Translational research in our lab (The Vienna Transplant and Complement Lab, VIETAC Lab, head Georg Böhmig) is focused on the variouse taspects of HLA/ABO serology including LUMINEX based techniques and basic research is based on rodent transplant models including a broad spectrum of biochemical and cell biological techniques.
- Diagnostik mit Komplement fixierenden HLA Antikörpern bei Nierentransplantation und Schwangerschaft (2017)
Source of Funding: OeNB (Oesterreichische Nationalbank), Anniversary Fund
- Torque Teno virus quantification for the prediction of kidney transplant rejection (2017)
Source of Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund), Programme Clinical Research (KLIF)
- Bartel, G. et al., 2010. Peritransplant Immunoadsorption for Positive Crossmatch Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation, 10(9), pp.2033-2042. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-6143.2010.03226.x.
- Kerjaschki, D. et al., 2006. Lymphatic endothelial progenitor cells contribute to de novo lymphangiogenesis in human renal transplants. Nature Medicine, 12(2), pp.230-234. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nm1340.
- Bartel, G. et al., 2007. In Vitro Detection of C4d-Fixing HLA Alloantibodies: Associations With Capillary C4d Deposition in Kidney Allografts. American Journal of Transplantation, 0(0), p.071105081616007-??? Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-6143.2007.01998.x.
- Kerjaschki, D. et al., 2011. Lipoxygenase mediates invasion of intrametastatic lymphatic vessels and propagates lymph node metastasis of human mammary carcinoma xenografts in mouse. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 121(5), pp.2000-2012. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1172/JCI44751.
- Schiemann, M. et al., 2017. Torque Teno Virus Load- Inverse Association With Antibody-Mediated Rejection After Kidney Transplantation. Transplantation, 101(2), pp.360-367. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/TP.0000000000001455.