Complement System Proteins; Graft Rejection; Kidney Transplantation; Nephrology; Organ Transplantation; Transplantation
My clinical research focuses on kidney allocation programs to enhance living and diseased donor kidney transplantation including ABO and HLA incompatible transplantation and kidney exchange programs. Another main topic is the improvement of prevention strategies, diagnosis and treatment of antibody-mediated kidney allograft rejection. Within my lab based work I am focusing on the various aspects of the complement system in kidney transplant rejection and tolerance.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Translational research in our lab (The Vienna Transplant and Complement Lab, VIETAC Lab, head Georg Böhmig) is focused on the variouse taspects of HLA/ABO serology including LUMINEX based techniques and basic research is based on rodent transplant models including a broad spectrum of biochemical and cell biological techniques.
- Bartel, G. et al., 2010. Peritransplant Immunoadsorption for Positive Crossmatch Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation, 10(9), pp.2033-2042. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-6143.2010.03226.x.
- Bartel, G. et al., 2008. Posttransplant HLA Alloreactivity in Stable Kidney Transplant Recipients-Incidences and Impact on Long-Term Allograft Outcomes. American Journal of Transplantation, 8(12), pp.2652-2660. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-6143.2008.02428.x.
- Bartel G, Wahrmann M, Exner M, Regele H, Huttary N, Schillinger M, Kormoczi GF, Horl WH, Bohmig GA. In vitro detection of C4d-fixing HLA alloantibodies: associations with capillary C4d deposition in kidney allografts. Am J Transplant. 2008 Jan;8(1)41-9. PMID:17924995
- Bartel G, Wahrmann M, Exner M, Regele H, Schillinger M, Horl WH, Bohmig GA. Determinants of the Complement-Fixing Ability of Recipient Presensitization against HLA Antigens. Transplantation. 2007 Mar 27;83(6): 727-33. PMID:17414705
- Bartel G, Wahrmann M, Schwaiger E, Kikić Z, Winzer C, Horl WH, Mühlbacher F, Hoke M, Zlabinger GJ, Regele H, Bohmig GA. Solid phase detection of C4d-fixing HLA antibodies to predict rejection in high immunological risk kidney transplant recipients. Transpl Int. 2013 Feb;26(2):121-30. doi: 10.1111/tri.