Antidepressive Agents; Depression; Receptors, Glutamate; Receptors, Serotonin
- NEUROIMAGING LABs (NIL) - PET & MRI & EEG & Chemical Lab
My main goal is to alleviate suffering in patients affected by psychiatric diseases with a focus on depression, especially in severe cases. This involves investigations of neurobiological causes of depression in patients with currently available neuroscientific methods and improving these. In addition, my work aims to leverage basic neuroscientific knowlege on depression in successful clincial applications.
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
Within the Neuroimaging LABs at the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy (PI Prof. Rupert Lanzenberger) I am skilled in analyzing data of structueral and functional magnetic resonance imaging. In addition, I use positron emission tomography to combine information of in vivo protein distribution with structural and functional proxies of brain activity. I am trained in clinical psychopharmacology, cognitive behavioral therapy and licencsed to deliver electroconvulsive therapy.
- Kraus, C. et al., 2014. Gray matter and intrinsic network changes in the posterior cingulate cortex after selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor intake. NeuroImage, 84, pp.236-244. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2013.08.036.
- Kraus, C. et al., 2014. Exploring the Impact of BDNF Val66Met Genotype on Serotonin Transporter and Serotonin-1A Receptor Binding V. Sgambato-Faure, ed. PLoS ONE, 9(9), p.e106810. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0106810.
- Kraus, C. et al., 2012. Serotonin-1A receptor binding is positively associated with gray matter volume � A multimodal neuroimaging study combining PET and structural MRI. NeuroImage, 63(3), pp.1091-1098. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2012.07.035.
- Kraus, C. et al., 2017. Administration of ketamine for unipolar and bipolar depression. International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, 21(1), pp.2-12. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13651501.2016.1254802.
- Kraus, C. et al., 2018. The pulvinar nucleus and antidepressant treatment: dynamic modeling of antidepressant response and remission with ultra-high field functional MRI. Molecular Psychiatry. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41380-017-0009-x.