Antigens, Differentiation, T-Lymphocyte; CD4-Positive T-Lymphocytes; CD8-Positive T-Lymphocytes; Inflammation; T Cells; T-Lymphocyte Subsets
- Division of Immunobiology
My long-term research interest is to characterize molecular mechanisms that regulate the development and function of T cells. Together with my laboratory I made important contributions to the transcriptional control of Cd8 gene expression and identified that the transcription factor MAZR is an important regulator of CD8 expression as well as of CD4/CD8 lineage development. Moreover, I am interested in elucidating the roles of histone deacetylases (HDACs) in T cells and e.g. we recently identified that CD4+ T cell lineage integrity is regulated by HDAC1 and HDAC2. I have also a long-standing interest in revealing the role of Tec family kinases in the regulation of immune responses. In ongoing studies my team addresses topics like: (1) Transcriptional control of CD4/CD8 cell fate choice; (2) Transcription factor networks regulating peripheral T cell function; (3) Maintenance of T cell lineage identity, integrity and function; (4) Characterization of signaling pathways modulating Th differentiation.
For more information please visit: www.meduniwien.ac.at/immunobiology
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
The experimental strategies to address our research interests include immunological tools, biochemical and molecular approaches, next generation sequencing, retroviral-mediated gene transduction into hematopoietic stem cells, and mouse molecular genetics tools.
- Sakaguchi, S. et al., 2015. MAZR and Runx Factors Synergistically Repress ThPOK during CD8+ T Cell Lineage Development. The Journal of Immunology, 195(6), pp.2879-2887. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1500387.
- Boucheron, N. et al., 2014. CD4+ T cell lineage integrity is controlled by the histone deacetylases HDAC1 and HDAC2. Nat Immunol, 15(5), pp.439-448. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ni.2864.
- Hassan, H. et al., 2011. Cd8 enhancer E8I and Runx factors regulate CD8-alpha expression in activated CD8+ T cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108(45), pp.18330-18335. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1105835108.
- Sakaguchi, S. et al., 2010. The zinc-finger protein MAZR is part of the transcription factor network that controls the CD4 versus CD8 lineage fate of double-positive thymocytes. Nat Immunol, 11(5), pp.442-448. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ni.1860.
- Grausenburger, R. et al., 2010. Conditional Deletion of Histone Deacetylase 1 in T Cells Leads to Enhanced Airway Inflammation and Increased Th2 Cytokine Production. The Journal of Immunology, 185(6), pp.3489-3497. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.0903610.