Cardiac surgery; Heart Failure; Heart Transplantation
- Heart Transplantation (Prof. Zuckermann)
- Mechanical Circulatory Support (Prof. Zimpfer)
Analysis of donor variables and their influence on mortality and morbidity following adult orthotopic heart transplantation is at the core of my current research efforts. The basis for my analyses is a recipient and donor database using all patients of the Heart Transplant Program Vienna.
Mechanical Circulatory Support:
I'm focusing on analyses of obesity in patients supported with a Left-Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) as Bridge-to-Candidacy and Bridge-to-Transplantation. I'm currently conducting a prospective trial in cooperation with the Division of General Surgery (Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy as Bridge-to-Candidacy for Obese Left-Ventricular Assist Device Patients (LSG-BTC-LVAD)(https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03008096).
Techniques, methods & infrastructure
- Retrospective database analyses
- Prospective clinical trials
- Angleitner, P. et al., 2016. Watershed of veno-arterial extracorporeal life support. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, 50(4), pp.785-785. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezw185.
- Andreas, M. et al., 2017. Increased Thromboembolic Events With Dabigatran Compared With Vitamin K Antagonism in Left Ventricular Assist Device PatientsCLINICAL PERSPECTIVE. Circulation: Heart Failure, 10(5), p.e003709. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.116.003709.